Author Topic: Solar to make Ice  (Read 5206 times)

Offline Watt

• Over qualified in the inexperience department!
Solar to make Ice
« on: April 07, 2012, 07:26:06 pm »
Chris has successfully used the Midnite Classic to dump his solar and wind to produce hot water.  What I'd like to do is make ICE.

So far my question is: can the classic be set for say 2 hours " waste " not once enabled?  Any idea Chris?

We go through around 300lbs of ice a day in the summer and I thought what the heck, once the batteries are full, just maybe.  I am pretty sure I can come up with an auto transfer panel to take the ice maker off of mains while in waste not but, I don't think it would be a good idea to do so if it only cycles minutes at a time.  If I could set the Classic to enable at say 85 volts and not disable again until 79 or 80 volts that would give me the excess of the panel production, what ever that is, and around 3 to 4kwh of battery power if there is clouds or ?.   
CEO of this Dis-Organization....

Offline birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
Re: Solar to make Ice
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 08:17:25 pm »
just curious, 300lbs of ice a DAY?  do you run a summer carnival?

i've dabbled with the idea of making ice at my ranch, especially for our spring party where 11 kegs need to be kept cold, though i've come to the conclusion that my RE system wouldn't handle an icemaker well!

adam

Offline Watt

• Over qualified in the inexperience department!
Re: Solar to make Ice
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 08:25:52 pm »
just curious, 300lbs of ice a DAY?  do you run a summer carnival?

i've dabbled with the idea of making ice at my ranch, especially for our spring party where 11 kegs need to be kept cold, though i've come to the conclusion that my RE system wouldn't handle an icemaker well!

adam

Adam

We work in the heat of the day and long hours into the night.  When it's in the 90's and up to 110+ degrees, keeping as many folks as cool as possible with drinks while working is our priority.  10+ hands with ice chests and water coolers can go through ice like you wouldn't believe.  Truthfully, this was the best investment made in saving money, well that was true until its age has brought up repairs, $1500+ a month just to buy ice in a bag.....  Anyway, not trying to save electric so much as use what I began wasting with the added solar.  I'm sure it would make more since to just add another electric panel and use the electric in my shop or in the house.  At the moment, it is a bit easier to wire the ice maker than panels for the house. 
CEO of this Dis-Organization....