Author Topic: BZ 500MPPT WOW  (Read 10412 times)

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
BZ 500MPPT WOW
« on: March 29, 2012, 01:49:28 pm »
Well, as some may already know I got a used BZ MPPT controller from Chris.

Installed it a few days ago during a long solar "vanishing" with lots of overcast and stormy skies.

It did a great job squeezing what there was out of the 4 Kyocera KC-130GT panels hooked to it. Taking a couple of PV amps and shoving 3 amps or so into the batteries!

It has been sunny a couple days now and this is where the rubber meets the road. Those 4 130 watt panels were pushing 540 watts plus through that BZ! 21 Amps into 25.8 volts at one point and probably more when I was not looking?

So, getting almost 4% over rated watts off those 520 watts of panels rather than the 80% of rating so I guess it works.

Just wanted to share that.

I knew it "should" work but now I "know". Can't wait to see the sunny day @-30F numbers next winter!

Considering a fresh one for the other 4 panels in the array. 4X 75 Siemens SP75's.  Easier than installing more panels.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
Re: BZ 500MPPT WOW
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 02:02:48 pm »
tom-
that's awesome!  mppt is a pretty cool thing! 

i was against mppt for a while as prices were so darn high.  i bit the bullet on a $300 mppt rogue controller last fall and have never looked back.  the money aspect gets forgotten pretty quickly once you see the amps flowing.  during low battery and cold conditions, i've seen over 420w coming out of my 390w array. 

i think the best part about mppt is when you have panels in series.  the high voltage allows charging to begin much earlier, and last much later into the day...  even if it's just a trickle!

adam

Offline Rover

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 02:47:34 pm »
Cool Tom!

I have a Blues Sky 12V, a BZ250 HV , and the new Morningstar ts45 mppt . (all mppt). My new TS45 does about the same as what you are seeing with your BZ with 400W of panels (series to 24 nominal (around 40V Voc)) This will be going up to 600W this weekend.

The Blue Sky also does well with its 300W of panels

Unfortunately for me, I never was happy with BZ250, so its sitting on a shelf.

Rover

Rover

(Where did I bury that microcontroller?)

Offline tomw

• Senior Moderator
    • Zubbly's photos!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 03:26:21 pm »

Unfortunately for me, I never was happy with BZ250, so its sitting on a shelf.

Rover
Rover;

I would offer to take it off your hands but that unit is 12 volt only I think? :o

Tom

( ?° ?? ?°)

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline Rover

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 03:40:37 pm »
I'll go check... but here is what I didn't like about it..

1. Since I graph my stuff I noticed , that once in a while it would drop out in full sun in absorb, for a few minutes
2. There are a lot of little black nuts that attach to screws separating the circuit boards, these have a tendency to just fall off and get lost (and the screw)
3. the little piece of plastic covering the LCD, just "fell out", doesn't hurt it.. but not there anymore
4. When cohabitating with my current sensors (Halls) in the same electrical panel, generated a lot of noise. (blue sky is in the same panel, no issues)
5. Switch on front panel is flaky.. meaning it prefers showing voltage rather than amps, (might be the opposite, can't remember)

I bought it new about 8 months ago. Ready to go for anyone that wants it (minus some screw and nuts, and the little plastic piece that covers the LCD)

Rover
Rover

Offline Rover

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 03:43:57 pm »
Yep, just checked the manual , 12V batteries only

Rover
Rover

Offline Rover

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 03:51:47 pm »
I shouldn't be so negative about the BZ :). It did do MPPT and that was obvious.

Although, temperature compensation was neglible, even though it had a temp probe (free air though, not bolt to battery). In comparison I can see the temp compensation from the ts45 .... comes down like little steps as the temp warms up

But for the price, (less than both the blue sky and obviously the ts45)

not bad.

Rover.
Rover

Offline tomw

• Senior Moderator
    • Zubbly's photos!
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 03:52:33 pm »
Yep, just checked the manual , 12V batteries only

Rover

OK, otherwise I would hunt you down on IRC and call dibs on it. :o

Thanks.

Tom

( ?° ?? ?°)

Offline Rover

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 04:06:40 pm »
Nice thing about it is that it will take up to 150VDC in solar. Bad part is only up to 250W (total). Although I did have it running with 255W Solar... figure there is some fudge room.. regardless of the BOLD print in the manual.

The reason its not in use is that I have surpassed its capabilites.. hence the ts45.

Rover

Rover

Offline Volvo farmer

• Forum Advisors
  • milliwatt
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 05:43:55 pm »
Are you getting those amp readings from the controller itself?  I have read that even the venerable MX60 would incorrectly (optimistically) report it's own amps in some situations. Judging by my past experience with BZ, I would trust but verify  ;)

Offline tomw

• Senior Moderator
    • Zubbly's photos!
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 06:10:12 pm »
Are you getting those amp readings from the controller itself?  I have read that even the venerable MX60 would incorrectly (optimistically) report it's own amps in some situations. Judging by my past experience with BZ, I would trust but verify  ;)

Well, it seems to agree with my analog meters as well as the Doc Wattson on the solar.

Tom

( ?° ?? ?°)

Offline Rover

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 06:11:23 pm »
Hi Volvo Farmer

I have my own monitoring system... multiple hall efect sensors etc, that I can calibrate. I can't speak for Tom, but I do see what I see

Rover

Rover

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 08:01:56 pm »
Those 4 130 watt panels were pushing 540 watts plus through that BZ! 21 Amps into 25.8 volts at one point

That's the beauty of the MPPT on either solar or wind - even on a cloudy day with the solar.  Your bank can be low on voltage, which really cuts direct hooked panels back on power (especially if you got ~34 Vmpp and the bank is 10 volts below that).  The MPPT gets the power out of them regardless of the bank voltage.
--
Chris

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 08:29:16 pm »
i was against mppt for a while as prices were so darn high.

Yeah, me too.  For a long time I thought up every reason why I didn't need it.  But after trying it it became pretty obvious that your RE system, without it, is pretty much like buying a car that can get 40 miles per gallon.  But the car comes from the factory with one spark plug wire missing so it really only gets 30.
--
Chris

Offline Poorboy

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 01:16:41 pm »
I'll go check... but here is what I didn't like about it..

1. Since I graph my stuff I noticed , that once in a while it would drop out in full sun in absorb, for a few minutes
2. There are a lot of little black nuts that attach to screws separating the circuit boards, these have a tendency to just fall off and get lost (and the screw)
3. the little piece of plastic covering the LCD, just "fell out", doesn't hurt it.. but not there anymore
4. When cohabitating with my current sensors (Halls) in the same electrical panel, generated a lot of noise. (blue sky is in the same panel, no issues)
5. Switch on front panel is flaky.. meaning it prefers showing voltage rather than amps, (might be the opposite, can't remember)

I bought it new about 8 months ago. Ready to go for anyone that wants it (minus some screw and nuts, and the little plastic piece that covers the LCD)

Rover

I'm all 12 volts here running a C40 but wish I had gotten an mppt. How much?
I was just looking at those a couple of days ago as everything I have is RV stuff. I've only got 170 watts so it's just the ting. I do paypal. Or it does me, not sure.