Author Topic: MidNite Solar Battery Charge Monitor  (Read 5551 times)

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
MidNite Solar Battery Charge Monitor
« on: March 17, 2012, 12:10:34 pm »
Well, that darned Chris Olson had to go on about how nice these were so I got bitten by the "gotta have" illness and got one from Northern Arizona Wind and Sun. Very fast shipment and nice folks to deal with. I called in my order rather than do it online.

I got it hooked up today after discovering yesterday my intended cable for it was apparently damaged on install. Limited continuity and only 0ne pair actually feeds the full distance so the meter was horribly off running over one pair of #24 in the Cat5. I guess I pulled too hard and managed to bork a bunch of the wires. The curse of doing things alone struck there. It really helps if someone feeds as another pulls the cable through 100 feet of conduit! I happened to have some #14 solid copper in for another use and retasked that for this until I bury more conduit or something because my current conduit is stuffed to overflowing. I thought I put in more cables than I would ever use but obviously I did not.

Live and learn.

It has not been hooked up long enough to sense a "full charge" but here is a picture of it and my turbine  monitoring gages in the hallway in the house. Shows a kilowatt + coming in to the bank. That silly oval hole was where I mounted the Outback Mate but it was not the answer to getting Amy up to speed on how to decide when to add loads so I put it in the power room (my office / boars nest).  No  pictures of that, its embarrassingly "cluttered" in there.  :o

This is the digital version of a "pegged meter" full over to the stop.

It correctly indicates battery voltage good enough for me. I cannot say exactly as this system is NEVER static it always has either a load or charge going in / out of it and voltage changes between reading the voltmeter and slipping across the drive to see the LED status. I am alone here this weekend so no help on that.

Especially if both the freezer and fridge fire up or the well decides to pump water. At 850 AH the bank is fairly stiff but it still floats around on the voltage in use.

At first I thought it was bad as it took awhile to decide what voltage it was connected too and some self test I assume before it settled down and worked.

So far very happy with it and I think it will help get everyone into the process of deciding to use the battery power. Now that it is "proved up" I will neaten up the cabling. [yeah, sure]

Just wanted to share.

Tom

Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
Re: MidNite Solar Battery Charge Monitor
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 12:40:56 pm »
On mine, when I first hooked it up, it took until the next day to decide that the bank had been fully charged and it went All Green.  I was reading in the propaganda that came with it some time back.  IIRC, it said something about the bank having to reach 29.4 volts for about 2 hours before it will go All Green.

It's not temp compensated.  I know my bank will not reach that when the batteries get hot in warmer weather, even if they're fully charged, because all my charging sources are temp compensated (I got more damned temp sensors going to the battery bank from equipment than I got cables running from the bus to the bank    :) )

I figured if mine goes yellow or red in warmer weather I'll just change the jumper inside it from Flooded to AGM.
--
Chris

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 06:40:58 pm »
Well, I did some "load management" and let the bank soak up some power and the battery monitor went to green or "full charge" so I guess that feature works.

Just an update

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 10:22:12 pm »
Cool!  Mine went to full green on the first full day of charging too.

Evidently you're not getting much voltage drop thru the wiring with that #14 wire.  I think in order for that green LED to come on it had to see 29.4 volts for 2 hours.  Mine has never left the green - even on a bad day we usually get the bank up to 30 in Bulk and at least get a start on the Absorb stage.  It doesn't always make it all the way thru absorb if the sun don't shine and there's poor wind.

I suspect, however, there's times in the winter that the yellow light would come on after a week of poor weather and 7 consecutive days of deficit charging the bank, but just enough to keep the generator from starting.  If that happened it would be an indication that it would be wise to manually start the generator and fully charge the bank.

That's why I like this little thing.  It's simple, but it's pretty smart.
--
Chris