Author Topic: new mill up and flying  (Read 10005 times)

Offline Dave

• No Personal Text Set by User
Re: new mill up and flying
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 12:40:32 pm »
Robin,
Thanks for that added info. This is a great project, way beyond my abilities but a thrill to read about your adventures with a few bits making some sense..still a lot going over my head.

That's 'another' benefit I find in the forums .. the experience of other peoples
great projects prodding me to investagate things I have very little knowledge of.

I have got to get involved in the micro controller world  :-[

Is that your weather data too? (on the other graph pages) Nice set up! And more feelings of "I wish I could do that" ...Ouch, more stick poking  ;)

Shawn,
Thanks for the Pics of the slip ring setup and spindle..looking good!

Cheers, Dave
KB1MZF

Offline shawn

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 11:17:17 pm »
yes here you go Oztules

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 01:26:30 am »
Thanks Shawn..... ( almost teary eyed seeing a chainsaw half way up a blade)

Nice work, looks like you have gone for lots of torque.... hope the alt is up to it.

My first set were a bit more dainty and faster (less cord, and less pitch), but my second set look similar to yours..... slower and more torque.

I cant imagine doing 4 meter blades any other way.

I have seen the slower blades pulling 60 amps@58v into batteries..... but that was not meant to happen ;D I don't let them do that now... (testing is fun but I don't think the stator was so amused).

Nice job..............oztules
Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline shawn

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 02:41:03 am »
yes the way to go when building blades!! :)
With the torque into my alt ermmm not sure you might know better :-[
the neos are 15mm thick / 50mm discs N52 x 24
the coils are 42 turns of 1.6mm wire two in hand x 9 star wired
magnet gap of 20mm
cutin at 25 volt DC @ 130 rpm
hope it all works out I do have more wire here and the mold is still good

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 05:52:17 am »
When the wind blows...... something is bound to happen with all that magnet, copper and airfoil :D

Hasn't the wind turned up yet?....  cursed wind gods.....

Good to see some figures when it does.

You have enough magnet to stop it in it's tracks if you need to ...... and thats a good thing while your tuning the furling.

...............oztules

Offline shawn

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 01:34:16 am »
The wind gods sorted there stuff out and gave me some
best I saw was 50 amps at 26 volt with no furling yet! not enough wind for furling just now it does fold up A little when the wind changes direction pushing against the tail then unfolding.
It seemed to like sitting around 30 amps with A little humm or rumble out of the alt and small rattle in the tower.
Better results will be here when my controller is on which should happen this week.
I can see some small changes to the tail to make it face the wind better this can wait though.
So far im very happy with it. :)

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 08:59:38 am »
That hum is the electrons being herded down the wire. I can hear it outside at the house yard about 400 feet away. Just my way of knowing power is being made.

It seems that most (all) the pipe on pipe yaw and tail bearings have a rattle as things get moved around. Unless it is really loud or constant I just figure it is part of the sound of work being done. As things wear in the rattle may just go away.

Glad its up and working. It is hard to beat the feeling of seeing a plan like this come together. Especially on time and on budget.

Thanks for the share!

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline shawn

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2012, 03:20:11 pm »
Thanks Tomw
Im ok with the hum like you said its work being done.
the rattle in the tower is one half of the lattice inside the other half the rattle will go away when I extend it.
The yaw bearing is a toyota rear  car hub (ball bearing) so no slop pipe on pipe, the tail hinge was solid rod turned down on the lathe very heavy but strong and no rattles there.

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2012, 05:38:15 pm »
Nice to see some power turn up at last. Good result. Skipping  along at 1300 watts is not too shabby at all, and happily running at a horse power or so is cool too.

Nice to hear the blades develop something. What is their noise level like. I find mine make almost no sound side on, and a very mild sound face on.... unless they wind right up, then it is a guess if the blades make as much noise as the three phase rumble through the ground at higher power levels.

Will look out for more updates if they should come.

..................oztules