Author Topic: Grid tie inverter help please  (Read 2898 times)

Offline junglejoe39

Grid tie inverter help please
« on: September 22, 2015, 03:24:24 pm »
I have 1370 watts of 12 volt panels. I am running them with small plug in grid tie inverters. Some 12 volt and some 24 volt with panels wired in parallel and series to match the inverters. On my best day I got about 1100 watts. My Question is would it be more efficient to wire all my panels to 1 larger grid tie inverter and why

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
Re: Grid tie inverter help please
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 11:30:58 am »
Impossible to say with that information.

If all panels are the same, then yes, single array would get the I^2 R losses down in the wires, and a general comment would be that the normal grid tie units have been pretty well tested to death, and good figures can be found re efficiency...... but not knowing the panels sizes and types... you may not be able to series them effectively if they are different sizes and voltages...... if they all have the same cells ( 5x5 or 6x6 etc ) there is a chance that they will series effectively.

If they are different, then your current scheme will have to suffice.

..............oztules
Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline junglejoe39

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 09:17:03 pm »
Thank you Oztules. You have alerted me to a possible problem. I do have 4-100 watt panels of the 5 in cell type hooked in parallel with 1-150 watt panel of the 6 in type is this a problem ?

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 02:28:47 am »
No, parallel panels of the same voltage but different wattage is not a problem, they will add their respective currents and all is well.

When you series them for high voltage, the weakest link in the chain dictates the max current, so you would not get the power you see from the stickers in series..... ie the 6x6 cells would behave like 5x5 cells as in the rest of the series string...... and thats assuming they are reasonably matched. In series the most feeble cell is the one that dictates the current.

.................oztules
Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline junglejoe39

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 08:04:25 pm »
Thank you Oztules