Author Topic: want to attempt some powerjack mods and could use some help. oztules?  (Read 10570 times)

Offline Dr_Zogg

Re: want to attempt some powerjack mods and could use some help. oztules?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2015, 06:37:28 am »
i did the tests tonight. and i got 24.5 volts from 20 turns. that works out to 1.225v per turn. i am assuming that equates to 40 turns for the primary? maybe i screwed up the math.

also, sorry to be a pain in the ass but would it be possible for you to give me a link for a suitable e core for the primary, I  know i have seen it in one of your threads i just can't seem to find it.

Cheers,
            Sam
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2015, 07:37:07 am »
25 turns will get you around the 30v mark, and this should be about where to aim for.

The ferrite choke ecores were E65. I had them, others may have had links........, so try ebay etc.

Glenn at the backshed has made one here too http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7800&PN=1&TPN=1

They are turning up all over the place.

............oztules
Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2015, 07:40:05 am »
25  - 26 turns will get you around the 30v mark, and this should be about where to aim for.

The ferrite choke ecores were E65. I had them, others may have had links........, so try ebay etc.

Glenn at the backshed has made one here too http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7800&PN=1&TPN=1
Thats a single core unit as well.

They are turning up all over the place.

............oztules

Offline Dr_Zogg

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2015, 07:09:17 pm »
So, now i have my extra 20 turns 3 in hand on and soldered to the existing winding's.
so i smack a couple of layers of mylar tape on before winding the primary?

then it will be onto the fan speed controller. i know i am working at a snails pace but i am also building the house at the same time.
that and work/family but i will get there in the end. well i hope i do  ::)

Cheers,
            Sam

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2015, 03:46:47 am »
Yes providing the 20 turns are the same direction as the original ones...... if unsure, you can inject 240v into the original winding and then measure 260v across the whole winding... if you see 220v... you wound it backwards ......

Then tape and primary.

...............oztules

Offline Dr_Zogg

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2015, 04:19:38 am »
Sweet, thanks for that. i will put up some more pics as i go.
what would you estimate this transformer to be capable of continuous and surge?

once again thanks so much for all the help.

Cheers,
           Sam

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2015, 12:06:49 pm »
bring your primary up to 26-28 now.

Transformer wattage is very much driven by the ability to cool the thing. In a closed box and sealed, that tranny was good for 3kw all day as a grid tie. That will still hold.

Keeping the magnetising current down will help keep temp down too, as eddy currents will be lower, core temp from magnetising the steel to lower testla will help also.

Making the thing 260v is what helped this... pushing the magnetising current down, ie.... the idle current.

6kw would be comfortable for shorter runs if the primary is large.... 50mm sq etc.

Transformer cores don't saturate from over current if they are not saturated at idle any way......contrary to popular belief.... only voltage and frequency can do that, so the R in the circuit will dictate the upper limits..... All the extra current in an overload goes into inducing current into the secondary... ie  between the coils themselves, not saturating the core...the core field remains the same .... like in a motor where all the extra current finds it's way  into driving the load, not saturating the  core.... any heat build up then is due to Isq x R loses in the wire.

.................oztules

Offline Dr_Zogg

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2016, 12:47:04 am »
I am finally back at it :)
just a few pic to show where I am at with the mock up on the first inverter.
basically just have to make the fan controller now and then I should have everything I need
to assemble it.

I will keep the updates going as I work on it now. and no doubt the questions also haha

Cheers,
           Sam

Offline Dr_Zogg

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2016, 01:21:08 am »
yesterday I picked up 5 inspire 1.5kw inverters brand new in sealed boxes for a good price.
so my plan is to use 2 of them as is connected as grid ties, use 2 more ad donor cores for my big transformer
and have one as a spare.

I do have a couple of questions though.
I am thinking of making the transformer for my larger unit oil cooled and was wondering.
(1) would the construction of the transformer remain the same or would changes be needed?
eg don't use resin to allow the oil to "soak" into the transformer?
(2) what do you think the approx capabilities of a single core unit like I have already made and a double core
unit like you have made would be increased to?

I would fold the enclosure up out of some 2mm aluminium sheet and tig it together/add cooling fins.
probably make it 2-3 times the size of the transformer so that it holds an ample amount of oil.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
           Sam

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2016, 05:14:40 pm »
Sam... my rule of thumb.. if your inverter was 1.5kw, then you can use 1.5kw continuous.... 6kw surges, 3kw 15min.

If you double stack and rewind ( reduces copper length by 25% )then that increases to 4kw continuous, and pretty much whatever you want in surge and 6kw for 15min.

Your cooling will dictate real world limits. I can't comment of liquid cooling except to say that the power companies use it because it makes the transformer size manageable.

..................oztules

Offline Dr_Zogg

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2016, 05:46:45 pm »
thanks for that. I might build a spare one and have a go at oil cooling it then push it hard for some testing.

I am just trying to build a solid separate unit to power the shed I have some pretty heavy duty equipment in there.
(lathe, mill, cnc plasma, table hoist, eddy current retarded chassis dyno etc.) I would probably be better off on grid
but I am a bit of a hermit and power isn't available out there where I am building the house

Cheers,
          Sam

Offline Dr_Zogg

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2016, 12:43:28 am »
sorry about all the questions. I am doing the strip down on some inspire 1.5 transformers at the moment
and I am considering  doing a triple stack and doing either 4 or 5 layers on the secondary as usual I have a couple of questions.
what would a good place to start for number of turns on the primary and secondary be? (48v)
what size primary would you recommend/how many in hand?
how hard do you think I could safely push it?

thanks so much for all the help. without the help of this forum I would be screwed

Cheers,
           Sam

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2016, 01:11:59 am »
Sam, before you rip it apart, find the 240v winding, and put 240v through it, wind 5 or 10 turns of any wire you have and measure the voltage, and divide by the turn number.. this gives you the turns/volt... from there you can work it all out.

I suspect about .9v/turn for the aerosharps, and 1.4 for inspire, but they use several transformers

.............oztules

Offline Dr_Zogg

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2016, 05:10:17 pm »
it looks to be 1.2v I did 10 turns and got 12.16v from it. but the input was 250v would that make much of a difference?
also these are wound a bit different to the larger areosharp one I did. the aerosharp was wound 3 in hand all
at once but these inspires are would "oz style" lol 2 separate layers and then paralleled.

for some reason i can't post pics at the moment but i will later on.

Cheers,
            Sam

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2016, 05:32:18 pm »
There is the answer you were looking for 1.2v it is ( good enough )..... so 240v is 196 or close enough to 200 turns for the secondary, and your primary will be about 1/8 ( for 48v) or( 1/16 for 24v).. 200/8=25 turns for 48v unit, 12 turns for 24v unit.

..........oztules