Author Topic: neat picture  (Read 5971 times)

Offline birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
neat picture
« on: June 30, 2012, 03:10:26 pm »
hello-
not a really great, or interesting thread, but just got a photo a buddy of mine took of my 8.5' turbine.  thought you all might like to see it.
if this is better in the pub, ect, feel free to move it.

thanks!
adam

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
Re: neat picture
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 03:39:58 pm »
House;

You do realise that those "holes" in the disk are due to dimensional instability and dimension shifting due to phase linear progression in the plane of rotation brought on by recent Solar MCE activity and an obtuse angle of incidence to highly agitated gamma particles!

Or not.

Neat pic anyhoo.

Tom

Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 03:43:07 pm »
thanks tom!

i also wanted to say thank you for the PM you sent me about inverter fans on the OP...  i couldn't figure out how to respond though. 

hopefully my buddy will get me all his pics of my maint. day last weekend so i can put up a decent thread on that soon. 

adam

Offline 97fishmt

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 03:54:17 pm »
Hi adam,

I'm sure none of us get tired of looking at wind turbines.
Especially home brew ones from people we feel like we know from years of participating in sharing ideas and success stories of putting
one up.  It looks awesome and nice tower by the way!

(sorry I missed your big bash, I was even thinking of coming down and bring you another servo motor.  I didn't quite get the mount done
in time.)

Mike

Offline birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 05:07:40 pm »
mike-
thanks buddy!  i'm actuall up to my armpits in turbines right now!  i bought that 4' axial from jerry a while back.  still need to do the welding for that, paint the blades, erect a small 20' tower ect. 

i did maint. on my big (small) turbine that weekend, but ti also still needs some attention.  then there's the ~700w of solar that's sitting *in* the shed...   :o

next time you're in pdx give me a shout! 

adam

Offline birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 05:18:44 pm »
another one from the weekend.  my buddy was using my dodge dakota for pull force, and i (pictured) was trying to keep it all safe and smooth. 

Offline 97fishmt

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 06:16:58 pm »
I meant a full furling head with tail and a small servo motor that will work good for 24 volt.
6' prop and around 300 watt output.  It's done now I just need to get it up for some observation now.

I know what you mean trying to get things done.  I've been up to the cabin a few times now since it has started
to get nice here in the pacific northwest and it has been hard to get motivated to start new projects. 

Last week I was up there and when I was making tacos for dinner a monster bear walked by the house.  I was freaking out
trying to find the camera.  He was blond in color looking like a grizzly but I did get a good look at him through the binoculars
at only about 50 yards and am pretty sure he was just a black bear.

So after I dug the camera out of my gear I hopped on the motorcycle and coasted down the hill to try and get a picture of him.
I made it down to where I last saw him and pulled off my glasses to get my helmet off and my glasses broke right in two.

So now I'm crouching behind my bike not being able to see and wondering if it just might be a grizzly bear.  I decided I should
get out of there and crashed about every 10' going back up the hill cuz of the steepness and the rocks and more like street tires
on the bike.

I had a great time watching my turbine that week.  I saw over 50 amps or 1500 watts and still not furling yet.  I'm getting mine
dialed in nicely now.  But I still want to go bigger.  We'll see, I'll die a happy guy after all these experiences in the wilderness.

Mike

Offline ghurd

• Global Moderator
    • GHurd Solar
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 07:43:56 am »
"Last week I was up there and ...."  LOL!
Sounds about like a typical day for me lately.

BTW- About 2 months ago, arm(?) on the glasses I am wearing now broke 1/8" from the hinge.
Pretty sure everybody already knows how I fixed them.
G-

Offline birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 12:45:39 pm »
hot glue??  maybe with a little balsa splint?  god, i love hot glue!!!

Offline ghurd

• Global Moderator
    • GHurd Solar
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 01:27:44 pm »
No splint required, but I did have to get it on there kind of thick.
Sorry the pic is fuzzy (try taking a decent pic of your glasses).  :'(
G-