Author Topic: Look what I woke up to today..  (Read 9928 times)

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
Re: Look what I woke up to today..
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 02:15:29 pm »
Do you know if the prices on that site are for a single blade or a set?  It says "bade" on the 10 footers, "blade" on the 8 foot, and "blades" on the 6 foot.

It is "per piece" so 3 blades is over $500 delivered as it is 3 blades. Seems a bit pricey but everything is silly expensive these days.

Bit over my budget so I might have to try my hand and hacking a set out.

I am not certain but I think the original destroyed set are just scaled up versions of the 10 foot blades? Not enough left of them to reconstruct what they were.

Have to see what it will take to laminate up some blanks the right size. Not much selection for species of wood here that is not special order.

Just not having much luck deciding what to do but spending $500 plus now is not a reasonable option.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
Resurrection...
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 08:15:33 am »
Well, kids, I got it all back together and up in the air. Got blades from Chris Olson and at a very good price. A shade over $200 for a 12 foot set of 3 in fir. Don't quote me on the price I think he cut me a deal. We have been trading stuff for a few months off and on and this time it happens to be a check from me. Hopefully it won't ricochet when it hits my bank.  ::)

Took 4 days to get a calm to balance the unit on the tower stub. <<Mr. Murphy.

I did that this AM and got it pulled  up and in place by 8 AM. Caught a break on weather it has been blistering hot the past few days and windy. I just fade too fast to get anything done when it is much above 80F and if the humidity is ugly it is even worse.

I need to catch up on my energy then I will snag some photos for you kids and probably post a new thread on it.

To those who offered $$ help, it turns out I could afford it without any true hardship but I appreciate the offers of help. Just have to put off my next firearm purchase awhile.  :o

Anyway, it has spun up already kicking out a couple hundred watts. Which means I may have beat Mister Murphy on rule #1 of installing a turbine.

Just a quick update.

A repost of the after assembly Eye Candy:

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline frackers

• If it moves - computerise it!
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 07:01:53 pm »

Hopefully the Mayans were wrong and I won't need another weapon to defend the place against marauders. Maybe I can lure Glen and his arsenal over for a long term visit if the Mayans were right.    8) Time will tell.

Tom

You and me won't be around to worry about it - unless you expect to live a 1,000,000,000 years minimum...

http://news.discovery.com/history/mayan-calendar-discovery-doomsday-120511.html

Robin Down Under (or are you Up Over!)

Offline bj

• Lamont, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 09:16:44 am »
  Awesome Tom.
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj

Offline striider

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2012, 07:41:56 am »
Nice!

Offline kitestrings

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2012, 12:45:28 pm »
Tom,

Congrat's.  Glad to hear its back up and turnin'

Others may see splittered wood, but when it is yours, you see the hours deliberation, design and effort laying there.  Nice of you to share both the trials and triumphs.

~kitestrings

Offline David HK

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2012, 06:49:52 pm »
Tom,

You don't know how lucky you are to have white aerofoils. If you can acquire some black paint daub some on each aerofoil at the same position say 9 inch widths. When the thing is spinning in the air you should have the equivalent of a 'Bull's Eye' in the sky.

Your fondness for firearms is such that you may be tempted, but Chris would of course disapprove mightily.

David in HK

Offline niall

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2012, 08:13:59 pm »
now ..that sounds like a lot of fun David

different black patchs could  "blur" at certain windspeeds .....( the internet says its true... 8) )

ebay has some ..erm....radio active paints that charge ? up during daylight and when it gets dark glow for a while ...i think ...ish

shooting practice at night ?   

Offline ghurd

• Global Moderator
    • GHurd Solar
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2012, 08:56:18 pm »
9" bullseye is too easy, even at 300RPM.  ;)

Good to hear its up and running,
G-