Author Topic: New Project  (Read 2722 times)

Offline ampere

New Project
« on: June 11, 2018, 01:20:44 am »
Hello gents, I thought to sign up as I expect to require assistance from the more experienced, I have done the otherpower mills, and motor conversions but I am looking at something that is a very different animal to what I am used to. I haven't knocked it apart yet, still letting oil work into the nuts before I knock it apart. Maybe in a few days I will be able to post pictures. I think these were called "rotary converters". it takes in 12 volts dc and puts out 120 vac, this is a large one. I got the bright (or maybe not) idea that this could be a possible candidate for a wind turbine. likely a full rewind may be needed but I could be up for that. Anyway I will post some pictures when i get the thing apart.

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
Re: New Project
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 03:00:19 pm »
Is the rotary converter field windings or magnets?, and what sort of power are we talking?

...........oztules
Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline ampere

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 01:01:16 am »
Is the rotary converter field windings or magnets?, and what sort of power are we talking?

...........oztules

As near as I can tell field windings. Still not apart. Four massive brushes riding on two sets of  beefy com bars at each end of the center shaft, overall length 18 inches or so. Case data plate indicates a 130 amps dc draw at 12 volts nominal, if the output is loaded to 1600 watts AC (120@ 13 amps)

If I can rework this for a 300-500 watt 12 volt mill I will be happy as hell.

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 04:21:09 am »
Hi Ampere, if all you want is 300 to 500 watts you may be better off looking for a Fisher and Paykel smartdrive motor. They already have a permag rotor and all you need to do is to change the connections on the coils to get whatever voltage you want.
I have used a couple of them for 12 volt hydro turbines, they work great. They have a stainless steel shaft , only two bearings and are really easy to adapt.
Have fun with your project
Pete

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 07:55:41 am »
This will need some testing before you can work anything out.

The armature will fine of you can get it spinning fast enough. I assume 1800rpm for 60hz operation originally. Really only testing will tell you if the fields are worth persevering with... and do you need to rewind the armature for the prop size you envisage..... hmmm choices everywhere. You don't really want to provide the first 50 watts to the field unless you have a decent wind resource to start with.... and a nifty controller.

...........oztules
Flinders Island...... Australia