Author Topic: Blades stalling  (Read 14324 times)

Offline bj

• Lamont, Alberta, Canada
Re: Blades stalling
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2016, 05:16:11 am »
   Not the expert here, but------
   Airfoil not identical?  Not so bad.  They will all induce torque to the same shaft.
   Weight not identical?  Not so good.  It will shake things and depending  on how much
difference there is, it can cause damage.
   Originally you didn't have enough blade so it should be better now.  How much is the
result of many factors, so I won't guess, but it should be better.
   It will be interesting to see the results.
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj

Offline niall

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2016, 05:19:05 pm »
you,l  probably have to balance them on the alt which is fine ( ideal really ).....on an axial alt its completly free spinning , no resistance ...easy to add lead in the right place at the hub

the chineese alt might cog a bit , not really an issue , but you can fine tune balance by adding a small 1 ounce weight ( or something small ish ) at the blade tip ....

place the little weight sitting on one horizontal tip .......( or a known distance in ) ......the blade " may " drop with the added weight

take it off and rotate to the next blade and repeat ......it too " may " drop at the same rate and amount

rotate to the last blade .....with the little weight sitting on the blade it may not drop ..........thats your light blade ......add lead at the root  .....and on it goes using lighter weights each time

fine balancing is ok ....but you,ll loose the will to live taking it too far ......the wood will absorb/dry out water over time and the balance will change anyway....but like Bj said ....balance is worth getting as good as possible.....it,ll start up quicker ,and just generally run smooth 

Offline TurboMiles

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2016, 09:52:33 pm »
Thanks for the help.
The wood shouldn't change much as it will be sealed.

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2016, 12:00:54 am »
Sealed or not, it will change.
Water finds a way... always.
Then in a different season, or dry, wet, hot, cold period the sun and or temps will change it up yet again.
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline TurboMiles

« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2016, 12:20:15 am »
Your right it will gain or loose 100lbs, my bad for saying it shouldn't change much

Offline niall

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2016, 05:37:40 pm »
i,d agree with Wolv ...moisture will try very hard to get in turbomiles.....and with sealed blades it might not be able to get out ...at least as it should ...ish... :(   it could be a pain in the ass 

not worth a hill of beans here .. where i live it tends to rain a lot ......an awfull lot .....like a depressing amount of a lot ......so the blades here like a breathable wood paint on them , they kind of adapt to extremes....they get a bit wet ....they dry out ....the balance changes....and goes back

one extra option for sealing (and you have your own thoughts on this already ) is linseed oil

i never ran these blades ( i should have ) but linseed oil seems pretty interesting  .....the blades are basically soaked in the stuff....it eventually dries out and hardens ( crystallizes or something  )

this was the breathable paint version in sugarpine ....

sorry pics are upside down.... :)    linseed oiled version is bottom

your blades look ready to fly .....whats not to loose .... :)

Offline TurboMiles

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2016, 07:05:06 pm »
The blades have been indoors for the past week trying to get any moisture out.  Maybe this is wrong but it's what I've done.  I have bought boiled linseed oil to put on the blades as recommended in Hugh Piggots book.  Looking forward to getting the time to apply it and mounting on the hub.  I know I need to build a furling system for this but first I'm putting the blades on with out furling to see how well they work. 

Offline TurboMiles

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2016, 07:12:07 pm »
NIALL, your blades look amazing.

Offline niall

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2016, 03:29:46 pm »
thanks ...but its Oztules chainsaw method and Hughs free online plans that make it easier for knuckle dragers like me

your running a big mast ...that,l test things pretty hard and fast .....( you need a herd number/farm to go to 20m here without planning permission  ) 

and again good luck with it  :).......

when you do test the blades do it on a calm day  :).....shorting the alt should/might stop it in light winds .....a lot of variables

Offline TurboMiles

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2016, 04:21:31 pm »
We have a few days of light north wind 10mph, hope to have it up for that.
I have applied 1 coast of linseed oil to all the blades and the triangles, plan to put a few more before I screw it all together.  Maybe it will be installed by the end of the day Monday.

We're you saying a big mast will test it hard and fast?

Offline niall

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2016, 06:01:26 pm »
the alt .....yes

axials can stop a mill in a second ......radials.....i,m not so sure

Offline TurboMiles

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2016, 06:41:19 pm »
I can stop my current setup in a 35mph wind, not saying I will be able to with the 10' setup

Offline bj

• Lamont, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2016, 08:54:55 pm »
Sounds like the winds you are expecting are just right for a test.   Best of luck
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj

Offline TurboMiles

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2016, 09:32:58 pm »
I really want to build an axial. I need to tailor it to work with my grid tie inverters and I'm not exactly sure how to do that.  The inverters turn on at 22v and divert to dump loads at 60v.  I have 2 1000w inverters in parallel.  Everything I find in my book is about charging batteries.

Offline TurboMiles

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2017, 05:41:58 pm »
Wind is lite and she is flying.  Start up is ridiculous, 2mph, makes 12v in 4mph. I didn't do a very good job balancing.  It wobbles my tower.