Renewable Energy Questions/Discussion > Renewable Energy Q&A

The 10 RE Commandments

<< < (2/2)

MadScientist267:

--- Quote from: tomw on April 17, 2013, 09:18:41 pm ---If it seems to good to be true IT IS!

--- End quote ---

Absolutely, Tom. Not sure where to categorize that, exactly, but it stands very well on it's own. ;)

--- Quote from: frackers on April 18, 2013, 06:32:37 am ---Very good start - well reasoned. Now to nitpick :)

Section 4 - be aware of the problems that good RE conditions can bring - too much wind, overheating batteries in the sun etc
Section 6 - figures multiplied by 3 for 3 day operation but quoted per day still. Just needs the "/day" removed from the 45kWh and 90kWh numbers

I'll have another read at work tomorrow if I get a slack time waiting for a compile to finish ;)

--- End quote ---

Good calls, thank you Robin... Fixed. :)

--- Quote from: ChrisOlson on April 18, 2013, 07:46:44 am ---
--- Quote from: MadScientist267 on April 17, 2013, 08:22:47 pm ---12V: 0 - 1kW
24V: 1 - 2.5kW
48V: 2.5kW and up

--- End quote ---

I think I would change this to
12V: 0 - 2.5kW
24V: 0 - 4kW
48V: larger than 4kW

The reason is because most of the high quality 24V inverters (Magnum MS4024/MS4024PAE, Outback FX-series, Trace/Xantrex/Schneider SW/XW-series) go up to 4 kW capacity on 24V.  Breakers, boxes, etc.. become proportionately more expensive when you make the jump from 24V to 48V because you have to make the step from 60V rated equipment to 250V (NEC requirement).  So it's kind of hard to justify the cost of 48V equipment for somebody who does not need larger than 4 kW capacity.

In other countries this may be different.  But in the US and Canada, just meeting NEC/CEC requirements will add ~50% more cost to a 48V system vs 24V.
--
Chris

--- End quote ---

I guess things have changed in the last couple years, wasn't aware they had pushed the envelopes that far. No accounting for electrical code tho, that's always a factor.  ::)

Thanks Chris. :)

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version