Renewable Energy Questions/Discussion > Renewable Energy Q&A

Water pressure question

<< < (3/6) > >>

Wolvenar:
Wow, I always thought of it as voltage = flow speed, amperage= pressure, volume= storage capacity ( in watt hours)
Correct me in how I am wrong

My reasoning,
Voltage/ Flow Either can be very fast but if there is no pressure there can be very little work done.
Amperage/ Pressure If you have to much amperage, it will burn/damage its vessel. as such pressure will do the same
Volume /KWh =  Think of it as storage capacity.
Watts =  I cannot think of the term for a water equivalent without referring back to a measure of energy such as joules..                                                            However it directly  relates as water speed times pressure= work capacity at any given time of measurement.

Ok so thats just how I have always understood it

rossw:

--- Quote from: Wolvenar on January 20, 2012, 03:20:43 pm ---Wow, I always thought of it as voltage = flow speed, amperage= pressure, volume= storage capacity ( in watt hours)
Correct me in how I am wrong

My reasoning,
Voltage/ Flow Either can be very fast but if there is no pressure there can be very little work done.
Amperage/ Pressure If you have to much amperage, it will burn/damage its vessel. as such pressure will do the same
Volume /KWh =  Think of it as storage capacity.
Watts =  I cannot think of the term for a water equivalent without referring back to a measure of energy such as joules..                                                            However it directly  relates as water speed times pressure= work capacity at any given time of measurement.

Ok so thats just how I have always understood it

--- End quote ---

I think of "amperage" as being like "flow", because you need a large wire to carry a lot of amps, just like you need a large pipe to carry a lot of water (flow). Wire insulation needs to be thicker for higher voltage (pressure) just like pipe wall thickness has to be thicker for higher pressures.

A high pressure (voltage) CAN cause a high flow (current) as long as your pipes/wires are big enough

oztules:
Lemmeesee....

If we take voltage, we can see that it pushes the electrons through a circuit.
If we take pressure, we use it to push the water molecules through the water circuit (hose, pipe etc)

So pressure is volts..... psi

Flow rate is the current .... number of electrons or water molecules flowing at the moment.

So Amps is flow rate .... gallon per minute, cubic feet/second. etc

If we get the flow rate and divide by time we get volume..... If a coulomb /sec is an amp, then  a gallon per second/second is a volume.

So a coulomb is Volume .... gallons or cubic feet etc.

Now :D

So watts are pressure X flow rate..or psi X gpm

Watt hours are psi X gpm X hours

even more mud................oztules

anyone want to try capacitance?? perhaps area x head  :-\

wdyasq:
"even more mud................oztules

anyone want to try capacitance?? perhaps area x head "

Well, in the hose and pressure discussion, the hose as it expands when the big digit is over the end, act sort of like a capacitor storing energy. Partially removing  the big digit must be similar to a variable resistor.

Just stirring the mud .....

Ron

BTW, this has been a good discussion. It clarified how I can describe sparky stuff to the ignorant.

Rover:
"BTW, this has been a good discussion. It clarified how I can describe sparky stuff to the ignorant"

Just use a tazer and take questions afterwards. :)

Rover

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version