Renewable Energy Questions/Discussion > Renewable Energy Q&A

Inverters

<< < (2/2)

rossw:

--- Quote from: Wolvenar on January 15, 2012, 09:44:59 pm ---Clarification on RossW's post, it would not double the voltage to place them in serial.
It would burn out one, or both, as you are supplying 120v AC to an input that I assume is 12v DC
( if these are american).

If this was simply a set of transformers , which it is not, your would be getting a voltage of 10x *1200v* out of the second in series.

--- End quote ---

I think he meant connecting the OUTPUTS in series, wolv.

And yes, the same "adding 3 phase in series" IRP as earlier discussed would probably apply to series connection of the outputs too. But if he was lucky, he could get twice the volts out ..

WooferHound:
//www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5_vG0xqA_0

Wolvenar:
@ rossw ahh ok
the outputs ..

halfcrazy:

--- Quote from: WooferHound on January 15, 2012, 10:55:24 pm ---//www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5_vG0xqA_0
--- End quote ---

Wooferhound
I think I can teach him how to make more impressive smoke  ;D ;D

I was tasked with pushing the limits excessively early on in the design and testing stages of a new CC and I made some impressive Smoke. I just wish I would have had the video camera handy  ::)

oztules:
It could be interesting to ponder and test some of this.

If you series the outputs, you will get the sum of the waveforms present. It the output oscillators are exactly at the same frequency, this could be anywhere from 0v to 220v.
It is more likely they are only approx 60hz oscillators in the H bridge stage, and we could see a situation where the voltage fluctuates from 0 to 220 and back to zero.

This may suit Wooferhounds lighting business.... if you put 220v globes on the output, they will glow and die and glow and die, at a rate depending on the difference in the frequencies of the two inverters...

Putting these in parallel will be just a lesson in black smoke, as they have to be synchronised to each other so that they both output the same voltage at the same instant in time....... or poof..

This can only be done by syncing them. A lot of pwm chips do have sync inputs or master slave inputs just for this application of parallel operation..........but these units don't look like they do. 

.................oztules

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version