Author Topic: Hybrids are not what they claim  (Read 8225 times)

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
Hybrids are not what they claim
« on: April 21, 2012, 04:54:16 pm »
Not exactly EV but similar
I have been expecting to hear this as the manufacturers cheapen things and the tech gets older and they can live off the
*name*

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/04/20/honda-appeals-hybrid-mpg-court-award/?intcmp=obnetwork
( yeah big extremist media like fox I know.. but sometimes there is truth in odd places)
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
Re: Hybrids are not what they claim
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 06:37:20 pm »
( yeah big extremist media like fox I know.. but sometimes there is truth in odd places)

And I bet they have proof it is Obama's fault, too!

Just sayin.

As an aside and not EV Amy has a 2011 Ford Fiesta. It has gotten a cumulative 32+ MPG average since we bought it. Including her sitting in it at work on break running for heat in the cold months.  And no batteries to buy in 5 years.  Ovrerall, compared to nearly $40 grand for a hybrid it was a no brainer for $13 grand to snag the Ford.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 08:10:45 pm »
I was interstate this week just gone and caught an interesting thing on the idiot box late one night - was a program about high-tech engines and high-tech car chassis and the manufacturing, transport and assembly etc - somewhere in europe.

They were rolling engines off the assembly every 2 and a bit minutes. Similar for painted body shells. The cars were being assembled and detailed and rolling off the line every 2 minutes and 20 seconds.

The cars automatically stop the engine when you stop at traffic lights - and instantly start and run as soon as you lean on the throttle. They were claiming between 34 and 45 km per litre of petrol, depending on how you drive, city vs highway etc.

These were the new Porche.... very nicely made from what I could see.

To put that in imperial terms - thats about 28 miles on 0.22 gallons - or near enough to 127 miles per gallon.

Offline Mixerman

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 08:33:59 am »

The cars automatically stop the engine when you stop at traffic lights - and instantly start and run as soon as you lean on the throttle. They were claiming between 34 and 45 km per litre of petrol, depending on how you drive, city vs highway etc.

I have heard of this to! There was a article in the Labor Tribune also I'll see if I can find it!

Sounds like it would be a bit rough on starters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ghurd

• Global Moderator
    • GHurd Solar
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 10:10:18 am »
My friend had a Civic hybrid, for maybe 6 years and 150K miles?
He never got less than 50MPG.
Hybrids usually claim better MPG in city driving.
He got 50MPG From Youngstown OH to RI, and got 50MPG on the way back too.
He doesn't exactly drive for MPG, and will scare the cap out of you with his city driving.
He's not real big on maintence either.
He changes his oil (his words) "every 10,000 miles, weather it needs it or not".

He took it in for an oil change at the dealer.
They acted all amazed it went that far with the same battery pack, and recommended he get rid of it quick, before the battery needed replaced.
So they sold him a new Honda.
Yes, this was when hybrids were in ultra-high demand and almost not available at all... go figure.
G-

Offline bj

• Lamont, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 12:12:52 pm »
   Only Hybrid experience I have was a rental.  Flew into Victoria, (Vancouver Island) and just needed a
car, any car to get me to a ferry terminal. (going to another island)  So it was going to sit for a week.
   As things turn out, had to come back, and pick up a load of stuff for repairs, so it got a lot more
use than intended.
   Just to see, I was driving, well, not my usual self.
   Anyway, three days use, when I filled it to return it, $28.  And gas on the Island isn't cheap.  I thought
it was pretty good.
   Almost forgot, Toyota Camry Hybrid, about 120Kms. on the clock, so not old, but a rental.
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj

Offline MadScientist267

• Impossible Condition Curator
  • Rules? What rules?
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 06:37:37 pm »
Same here, but not with a Honda. Was a Prius.

Peppy little booger, and "lead foot factor" didn't seem to matter to it nearly as much as in the standard ICE cars.

I drove it personally for about 150 miles or so, wife did much more than that, and even though I wasn't there to witness the refill, I heard it was relatively cheap for the distance driven. The MPG counter in the car was bouncing between 25 and 50 MPG rolling around the city, and tended to hover in the 40 range on the highway.

No idea what was on the clock... didn't pay that close attention. Probably less than 50k tho.

Maybe it's just been a flaw in Honda's design somewhere? I haven't heard too many people complain about the Prius, but then again, I don't personally know all that many that actually own one either, so....

Steve
Wanted: Schrödinger's cat, dead and alive.

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 08:14:02 pm »
Not electric.  No battery pack.  Not a hybrid.  In fact, not even advanced technology.  $999 apiece brand new.  Made in China.  You can carry two full bags of groceries in one in the under-seat storage compartment.  If the tank is bone empty you can get .92 gallons of gas in one.

My wife and I bought these things a couple years back.  4,500 miles on mine.  My wife has 3,200 miles on hers.  Never had a single problem with them yet.  113 mpg running wide freaking open.  They go 40 mph.  We ride 'em all over the place in spring, summer and fall.  Even when it's raining.

972-0
--
Chris

Offline MadScientist267

• Impossible Condition Curator
  • Rules? What rules?
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 08:28:25 pm »
Had something similar - 50cc, 27MPH (unless going downhill, then maybe 30), a little smaller overall from what I can tell, and about 90MPG. Loved it...

... till I wrecked it...  :'(

Fun while it lasted though :D

Steve
Wanted: Schrödinger's cat, dead and alive.

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 08:38:07 pm »
These are Roketa's.  49cc and they got pretty good power.  They turn 8 Grand at redline.  My wife can take me on a long flat stretch on a country road because she's 60 lbs lighter than I am.  I've tried premium gas, put heavier rollers in the clutch to try to get it engage harder and get a higher gear ratio, and even tried putting more air in the tires for less rolling resistance.  She still beats me into town every time.

They got a 70cc Big Bore kit that include the cylinder, bigger piston and rings, wrist pin, a carb with a 2 mm bigger bore, and all the gaskets for $199.  I been thinking about getting that Big Bore kit so I can show her who's boss.

They're about as much fun as you can have, legally    8)
--
Chris

Offline ghurd

• Global Moderator
    • GHurd Solar
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 09:08:50 pm »
I had a 76 Rabbit diesel that got 70MPG highway, back in 1984(?), when it had 70K miles on it.
Not something I would highly recommend if the car had to be going 75MPH when it entered highway traffic.

I have been TRYING to buy a BLUE Prius C2 for like a week now. Gray or Silver would be OK.
They offer me a white C3 ($2200 more than a C2, to get crappy wheels and fog lights?) or a "extra super rare" C1 over and over.
Is BLUE or GRAY that hard to make?????
Are the salemen that stupid????
WTF?

Totota, Volvo, and Jaguar of Warren.
1-877-452-0790, toll free, incase anyone wants to ask them WTF, and if they found "the purple tacoma guy" a blue C2 yet.
Tony.  Extension #110.
If Tony is not available, then ask for Brian.

Yea, I am irrate.  Lots of wasted time when they try to "make the buyer sweat".  I do not sweat about this crap.  Its just a damn car. 
If they want my $22,561 they told me it would cost, fine.  If not, also fine, but they should tell me that.... and why it will cost $22,561 if they will not take my $22,561.

Thats a lot of cash to try to give to someone trying to sell something for something they are trying to sell.

Offline Bryan1

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 02:27:30 am »
I scored a '92 charade for free and had to replace the head gasket so while I was there the timing belt and water pump were changed too, the only cost to me was some gasket cement which I had a some fresh fuel. I now use this little car as my work car and when I fill up I take a reading of how many litres go in the double it then multiply by 10 so I know the range I can get. I base it on 5 litres a 100K and have never run out of fuel. Now for a 3cyl 993 cc engine it is pretty zippy and over taking I generally don't bother taking it out of 5th gear.

The main problem with hybrids over here is the hills and one doesn't see many of them on the road around here but down the hill in Adelaide there are heap of them. If I only use the car for work and no other driving usually $20 of fuel does me a whole week. Now go compare that with a hybrid where the cost of battery charging AND fuel would be more.

Cheers Bryan

Offline Norm

• Today is the day you worried about yesterday.
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 04:23:58 pm »

I have heard of this to! There was a article in the Labor Tribune also I'll see if I can find it!

Sounds like it would be a bit rough on starters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They had a starter alternator that some were planning on making.....wouldn't be
very hard on the starter if it was also an alternator..
Norm.

Offline Norm

• Today is the day you worried about yesterday.
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 08:03:34 pm »
.  My wife can take me on a long flat stretch on a country road because she's 60 lbs lighter than I am.   

They're about as much fun as you can have, legally    8)
--
Chris
Chris.......it's obviously simple solution .....lose 60 lbs. and slip a30 lb. lead weight
into the underseat compartment of her vehicle.
Norm.

Offline ghurd

• Global Moderator
    • GHurd Solar
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 09:19:06 pm »
wouldn't be
very hard on the starter if it was also an alternator.

My old Tacoma (1996, 200K miles, 4-banger) has the factory starter.
The last year has been VERY hard on the starter, maybe an average of 20 times a day?
I changed contacts just a few dozen K miles ago, before it was started 20 times a day.

My old Camry (1996, 310K miles, 4-banger) has the factory starter.
I have no idea how many times it has been started, but the drivers door was opened so many times almost all the wires broke a long time ago (I fixed them).

Both have the factory alternator.
I thought the Tacoma alt was bad about 8 months ago, but after buying another alt, I saw it was the facory belt was shot)

As DanG said else where a while ago, when the old Camry hit 300K miles, "properly designed" is what counts.
G-