Author Topic: guess who bought a power jack inverter  (Read 204107 times)

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
Re: guess who bought a power jack inverter
« Reply #120 on: December 04, 2014, 03:42:22 pm »
Yes you can use AC through  and no charging.. on selector switch.

It is supposed to run as a UPS....exactly as you described...... but  I have not used it like this.... others may have.... but it claims to run as a ups, and either charge the batts at the same time, or just throughput and not charge.

I know it does it, but do not know how reliable it is on back to battery when shore turns off. ..... ask the seller... save response... so you can claim warranty if necessary. They are good on their warranty claims apparently.

Wish I could be more specific, but i just don't do this regularly.... and when I do, I sometimes I let the smoke out of it.... but usually doing a few other evil things at the same time making it difficult to know why it happened.

Usually I have been using the charging at the same time ( internal), and it may be that that causes the change over trouble. It is flawless on battery to ac throughput, it syncs very quickly, and changes over fine... at that point I have had it charging the batts hard, then drop the shore power... and poof...as it goes back to inverter only mode, things go bad for me.... I am sure it is the back mmf in the torroid... but have not bothered to research further, as I don't do that anymore.

As you will not be using the transformer in pass through, no charging, it may be totally different. I don't know.... wish I did.

.............oztules
Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline off the wall

« Reply #121 on: December 17, 2014, 08:35:49 am »
Oztules - you are a GENIUS! In case no one has told you before.

From what I understand, and forgive me for being thick,
(a) winding a few turns around a core placed in the low voltage transformer line of the Power Jack inverter transforms the efficiency at low current? What size core? Three or four turns or more?

It would be great if you might be able to explain why this does improve efficiency - I'm not sure that I follow the explanation here to date. Clearly the choke blocks high frequency oscillations into the transformer . . .  Would a parallel capacitor assist at all anywhere, between choke and transformer? Perhaps one might find some power factor correction on low load helpful when the transformer presents pure inductance . . .

(b) to back feed batteries through the unit from solar grid tie systems is amazing. I'm not entirely clear why this unit allows this to happen and it not being possible or known to be possible with others. Presumably one needs to have a system to turn off the grid tie units when the batteries are full . . .

I run part of my house on an 8000LF from 24V and am about to install another system with a 15000LF 48V

I tried to download the circuit diagrams but they are a bit small to read. Is there a higher resolution source?

Best wishes and many thanks for your dedication and willingness to share

OTW

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #122 on: December 17, 2014, 01:53:20 pm »
I mentioned your opening line to my wife..... she burst out laughing.... and says you don't know me very well at all... village idiot is a better description she thinks....

The inductance is very low, about 18uh or in that kind of range seems to work fine. It is too low to be a filter for the switching speed, so more likely it cleans up switching hash... ie allows for the fets to turn on fully before the current really takes hold.  This will kill some hash harmonics, and get them out of the transformers... they run very much cooler.

I had thought that the 4uf capacitor on the output would have to be gotten rid of too, but this is not the case. I expected it to look like a short circuit... but no...

So we are left wondering why it works so darn well... but cooler fets and transformer and a massive loss of idle current is a wonderful result.

Core size for me was E65.   3.5 turns of battery cable.. thats it. You won't fit more turns in if you have decent sized wire. More inductance will help, but in ever decreasing amounts for the inductance used... then it goes up again as more is added. This  3.5 turns seems a reasonable compromise.

Most h bridge units would be capable of reverse feed, as it is really the same as regenerative braking in DC speed controls. The N channel can carry current in both directions once turned on, so is a simple solution for reverse running... remember the gate is insulated from the n channel... once the electrostatic field is built around the gate, the N channel is just that .. a less than perfect conductor.. bi-directional.. same as resistance wire really... Rds on  = R. The inductor lets this happen better, as without it, there is a strong chance of fuses blowing.. that s what I found  anyway.

Click on the diagrams, they should blow up very well ( they do in linux )

............oztules

Offline off the wall

« Reply #123 on: January 03, 2015, 02:50:22 pm »
Hi!

In England I've been able to get offcuts of aluminium lightning conductor with insulation . . . and it's great giving a 75mm2 cross-section of carrying capacity that would be given by around 50mm of copper - so it's rather useful for off-grid installations.

Just one turn of lightning conductor gives 32uH around http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191039069182 a  4 inch toroid "Transformer Choking Coil Spare Part Round Magnetic Core 102mm x 65mm x 20mm" so when I fit this it should do the trick nicely.

I'm a little confused by mention on this thread of the addition of a capacitor but can't find reference to where to fit it or for what purpose?

Best wishes

OTW

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #124 on: January 03, 2015, 07:59:20 pm »
What is the material the core is made up of.... it says metal in the blurb...... needs to be ferrite for HF use.

"I'm a little confused by mention on this thread of the addition of a capacitor but can't find reference to where to fit it or for what purpose?"..... me too. Don't know what it is that was talked about ....maybe...

There is a 4uf filter cap on the output that should be replaced/reduced in theory, as it should behave as a short on the output to the fets.... but in practice it makes no such problem, and is left alone.
There was a problem early on in the process where by  the cap on the control board exposed to the battery was only a 50v unit, this has been rectified form the looks of it. It was a problem when they reprogrammed 24v boards for 48v use... was my best guess. They have since not done this, and use 100v units.

......oztules

Offline off the wall

« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2015, 02:49:27 pm »
Thanks very greatly.

I couldn't find the 4uF capacitor on the circuit diagram - clearly I'm blind!

Here's the implementation on the ferrite ring
3660-03658-1

(Inappropriate content about OU/FreeEnergy deleted by Admin)
Best wishes

OTW

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2015, 03:03:53 pm »
I'm wondering if anyone has played with pulsed charging as in Bedini, or other free energy from aether devices such as TPU - toriodial power units - Kapanadze devices - resonant electrolysis of water or other things documented on Silly site link removed?

Best wishes

OTW

OTW;

(Admin Mode)

Tread carefully that is a banned website and subject here and could get you a Warp Kill or life in the Read Only Room.
Just FYI

Sorry to jump on your thread with Admin stuff , Oz but rules is rules.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2015, 03:19:32 pm »
OTW.... the 4uf cap is next to where the wires from the transformer 240v  HV meets the board. It is usually a red thing an inch or so long.

That is one way to implement the inductance, but you really have done it hard. Would be better to just use battery lead and wind another 1.5 turns on it......

Also normal leads allow you to place the torroid up in the transformer region, and so allow the box to remain intact.

What is your idle current now and pre change?

.............oztules

ps yes,please leave the free energy and free money theories to the noddies on the other sites predisposed to voodoo magic..... like the worlds central banks at the moment....

Offline off the wall

« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2015, 05:14:45 pm »
THanks

Yes - it's seems a sledgehammer to crack a nut but the lightning tape is a good heavy conductor which I had to hand and round that ring works really well, not having decent battery lead to hand, and the toroid seemed easier to source too.

Before the standby current was 8 amps and now a mere 1.3 amps. What a difference that makes! THANK YOU!

Best wishes

OTW

Offline MadScientist267

• Impossible Condition Curator
  • Rules? What rules?
« Reply #129 on: January 12, 2015, 10:56:12 am »
OTW -

What's the orange wire around the inside and outside of the toroid all about?

Steve
Wanted: Schrödinger's cat, dead and alive.

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
« Reply #130 on: January 12, 2015, 12:16:02 pm »
OTW -

Steve

I thought it was the "core"? Have seen that done before long ago when dinosaurs roamed the earth and the water was drinkable from the rivers. :o
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline off the wall

« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2015, 03:04:46 pm »
OTW -

Steve

;-) Something that Oztules wouldn't want to hear about.

(Edit: something the rest of us don't want to hear about either. PLEASE do not drag in the over-unity, free-energy, unproven/unprovable/proven-fake stuff from that and similar websites. This IS your final warning on the matter)

OTW

Offline MadScientist267

• Impossible Condition Curator
  • Rules? What rules?
« Reply #132 on: January 13, 2015, 12:34:40 pm »
OTW -

Steve

I thought it was the "core"? Have seen that done before long ago when dinosaurs roamed the earth and the water was drinkable from the rivers. :o

Ah ok, like one of those new fangled anti-meteor devices... gotcha ;)

Steve
Wanted: Schrödinger's cat, dead and alive.

Offline off the wall

« Reply #133 on: January 13, 2015, 01:14:11 pm »

;-) Something that Oztules wouldn't want to hear about.

(Edit: something the rest of us don't want to hear about either. PLEASE do not drag in the over-unity, free-energy, unproven/unprovable/proven-fake stuff from that and similar websites. This IS your final warning on the matter)

OTW

Sorry - I was asked about it, and it was only polite to answer, and it is relevant to state that the orange wires on that toroid have nothing to do with the reduction of standby power on these inverters. The toroid with the one turn of lightning conductor itself provides excellent service for the purpose giving inductance of around 32uH and whilst clumsily mounted outside the box serves the purpose. In boxes of the 5kW and 3kW inverters internal mounting would be impossible in my opinion.

The former High Frequency pure sine PJ inverters took a standby current of around 1 amp on no load but in my personal experience lasted only a year. In contrast, as you indicate here, the Low Frequency models are very different animals and the ability to reduce their standby current to compete with the efficiency of the other models is a boon and a genius on your part.

A good reason for trying to keep the inductor within the case may well be faraday shielding of any possible radio interference.

Whilst we may well have reason to laugh about anti meteor hats, but doing appropriate experiments to prove that they are not useful from time to time has a place in proper science in which we should always challenge and test assumptions. I can confirm that the orange wires, as to be expected, show nothing useful.

I happen to live in an area which is under threat of fracking, and by whatever means of whatever alternative energy is available, we've got to explore every route to make environmentally destructive stuff both redundant and irrelevant. To date, solar is one of the best available options and power from inverters like these from solar charged battery banks is a most important development. Your insight into taming them is invaluable. Thank you for sharing it.

Best wishes

OTW

Offline brac321

« Reply #134 on: January 13, 2015, 03:06:48 pm »
OTW, here you can see location of capacitor. It might be that is 2,2uF if you have latest inverter.

3664-0
OffGrid PV: 250w black mono solar panels 6kW, 3x MorningStar MPPT 60, Oerlikon battery bank 650 Ah @ 48v, modified PJ LF-8000, DC-DC converters, etc.