Author Topic: Looking for a good, low power HD TV...  (Read 12563 times)

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
Re: Looking for a good, low power HD TV...
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 05:35:05 am »

What does the slash mean Ross? 

I put the kil-o-watt meter on the bigger set today and in one hour, since every scene changed the " watt/hour " usage, that set averaged 286 watts for that hour but I would bet the next hour to be a different watt hour usage. 

Personally, I'm looking for a tv that would use that 286 watt month.  :P

Let me try to explain it this way.
Watts is like volume of water.
If I told you that a pump can move 100 gallons, you'll look at me like I'm an idiot.
Even a tiny little oilpump from a chainsaw will move 100 gallons.  Eventually.
To get an idea of how much water a pump is actually MOVING, you say x many gallons per hour, or per minute.
If I told you this pump can move 1000 gallons a SECOND, you can imagine it's a pretty serious pump.
If I told you that pump would take 3 days to move a gallon, you know it's pretty tiny!

If I told I mixed 1000 gallons of epoxy you'd think that was a LOT.
If I told you I had 10 gallons of toothpaste, you'd think that was a LOT.
If I told you I have a dam that holds 10 gallons, you'd think I was nuts - decent bucket will hold that!

So it is with watts.

If I told you I have a solar array that'll make 10 watts, you just know it's small.
If I told you I have a light globe that takes 25 watts, you know it's a modest lamp.
If I told you my TV takes 1000 watts you're going to wonder how huge it is, because that's a LOT for a TV!

Watt-hours is simply the product (multiplication) of the units of instantaneous watts, times the time expressed in hours.  Something taking 1000 watts for 6 minutes (6 minutes = 0.1 hours) is 1000 * 0.1 = 100 watt-hours.
That same load (floodlight? toaster?) running for half an hour will take 1000 * 0.5 = 500 watt-hours.

My use of a slash wasn't meant as a division sign, merely to separate the "watts" part from the "hours" part.

Some people write it as watthours, some as "watt/hours", some as "watt-hours" and others as "watt hours".
Which you use is probably less important than the fact that you indicate some time-unit where it's relevant.

Offline Watt

• Over qualified in the inexperience department!
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 09:24:21 am »
Thanks Ross, one more point.  You do realize I am from, live in and work in the ' state ' of Texas don't you?  We have our own language here and most of our words aren't in no darn dictionary on the this planet.   :o
CEO of this Dis-Organization....

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 10:25:50 am »
Thanks Ross, one more point.  You do realize I am from, live in and work in the ' state ' of Texas don't you?  We have our own language here and most of our words aren't in no darn dictionary on the this planet.   :o

Yeah, I asked a Texan once how far his creek was from his house. He said "1 acre" and I never got any other answer. How far away is "1 acre"? And it is the REPUBLIC of Texas! At least that's what most of y'all tell me. Now gwan home and write that Texican-American  Dictionary.

Just my opinion, of course.

Ran afoul of some unexpected truck repairs this morning so the TV purchase is pushed back (again).

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 01:12:34 pm »
tom-
what's wrong with the dodge?  i think we have almost the same rig.  mine's a 2000 dakota with a 4.7l and now has 150,000 on it, and has been great with little more than standard maintenance. 

adam

Offline tomw

• Senior Moderator
    • Zubbly's photos!
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 02:14:50 pm »
tom-
what's wrong with the dodge?  i think we have almost the same rig.  mine's a 2000 dakota with a 4.7l and now has 150,000 on it, and has been great with little more than standard maintenance. 

adam

Adam;

Yes, a Dakota 4X4 club cab.

Not sure what's wrong. Fuel delivery issue starts and runs a few seconds or maybe a minute and dies if you fiddle with the throttle it "kind of" runs.  It is an '01 V6 auto 4X4 and has been stellar so far with 73K on the clock. Just oil changes and an early issue with the computer replaced under warranty, repaired the tailgate latch which is not an uncommon type failure door latches, window regulators, etc get stiff from the dust (live a couple miles down  a dusty rock road) and have replaced the serpentine belt. I am, confident the battery is hosed, too after 11 years. It is at the dealer now and they treat us well being repeat customers for new vehicles.  Even fudged the mileage to replace the tranny in the Dodge Spirit we had a few years back under warranty. We had actually complained about it prior to the warranty expiring by a couple thousand miles but it did not outright fail til after it expired.

This could be as simple as a fuel filter or maybe a fuel pump but likely nothing worse but you never know.  :(

I think there is a recall on throttle body wear on this model?

Tom

( ?° ?? ?°)

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 02:31:30 pm »
Check the fuel pressure regulator. 
I am a chevy guy mostly, and this is a common problem.
I am not sure if dodges work the same but its worth a shot given how easy the test is.
Pull the vacuum line off the regulator and see if it has fuel in it. or shoots out when the ignition it turned on

I had a few dodges, but the ones I had gave me way to much grief.
So I am back to chevy, but have a ford truck too.
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2012, 12:53:44 am »
tom-
you've got a totally different engine than me so i can't help ya there.

i do know for a fact that there was a recall on the upper ball joints on the 2000's.  worht looking into, as they aren't cheap to have replaced! 

i think i've got the gas tank from a v-6 as i can only go about 240 miles between fill ups with my 4.7l v-8.   :o

adam

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2012, 01:46:17 am »
i think i've got the gas tank from a v-6 as i can only go about 240 miles between fill ups with my 4.7l v-8.   :o

Ouch, that'd hurt.

My poor old Jeep (straight 6, 4.0 litre) which is 15 years old now will make just over 400 miles, sitting at 70mph.

Offline tomw

• Senior Moderator
    • Zubbly's photos!
Just the battery
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2012, 12:37:34 pm »
Well, I had the Dakota taken to the dealer and, of course it started right up. No engine codes at all. They kept it overnight and the next morning determined that the 11 year old battery was the culprit. Apparently trying to start it made the voltage so low the computer resets so can't fire the ignition and of course clears all engine codes.

A fresh battery and it has been 100% all day Saturday, Sunday and today.

11 years on an automotive battery seems a good run. I had been using it a lot on the farm for about 3 weeks which means start it drive a few hundred yards or maybe a half mile shut it off then listen to the radio while I did whatever I was doing.  It had not had a road trip for weeks so I guess that brought out the failure sooner than "normal" use. The dealer says they have just started seeing these model years coming in with failed original batteries and the '01 original equipment batteries have lasted much longer lasting than many other original units.

Just an update.

Tom

( ?° ?? ?°)