Author Topic: Now heating with heat pump  (Read 3636 times)

Offline junglejoe39

Now heating with heat pump
« on: October 20, 2015, 08:32:09 pm »
Bought Thermocore portable air conditioner with heat pump. 11,000 BTU heat pump uses 1250 watts. Im impressed WAY cheaper than my propane furnace. Now I just need more solar!

Offline ndiakon

• AccessEnergo
Re: Now heating with heat pump
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 07:02:39 pm »
Does it use 1250 watts per hour?

Offline MadScientist267

• Impossible Condition Curator
  • Rules? What rules?
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 09:05:37 pm »
ndiakon... First, of course, welcome to the board...

Second, that's an invalid query :-\

1250 watts is the amount of power it requires to operate, and has no relationship with time whatsoever in itself.

To form it's *energy* consumption (what you're looking for), we multiply the power by time, usually hours.

1250 Watts * 1 hour = 1250 Watt-hours, or 1250Wh, or 1.25kWh.

So, in a nutshell, yes, by default, it would consume 1250 Watt-hours of energy in one hour. 2500Wh in 2 hours, and so on.

Make sense?

Steve
Wanted: Schrödinger's cat, dead and alive.

Offline junglejoe39

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 11:11:03 pm »
ndiakon I like to think of it this way. Most people have some experience with the small 1500 watt space heaters. They put out about 4000 BTUs. My heat pump uses less elec. and puts out almost 3 times as much heat plus has a fairly strong blower.

Offline ndiakon

• AccessEnergo
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 06:33:38 pm »
It makes sense now. Sounds like a great deal! Thank you for explanation guys, I am new to this thing, trying to learn as much as possible about solar energy.

Offline solarnewbee

• Cayenne Dashboard
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 12:34:46 pm »
I love heat pumps! As a self-employed technician and installer I have talked more people out of gas furnaces and they have always been thrilled with their gas bill afterwards. I installed a dual fuel at Folly Beach because the guys wife demanded gas but since their gas bill has been next to nothing and the furnace only cuts on during defrost. Heating with hp only cost about 4SEER less efficiency than when cooling unless you use an mini-split inverter system and you actually get more heat than rated btu's. The new refrigerant r-410a is quite hot as I call it because the working pressures are much higher than the old r-22. As of last year only 14 seer unit may be built and installed but the grace period for 13 seer units left in stock ended January 1st 2016. But.... Don't ever let any company fool you into thinking you have to upgrade because of some major component failure and your current system is definitely grandfathered. My opinion is tho is that if the repairs exceed 60% of a new system then you may as well buy new.

If your planning on having AC on your solar system I would seriously consider replacing with a 16 seer or better.

Rock on Solar!!!
SN

Any day above ground is a day for potential mishaps