Author Topic: Free CAD software enquiry  (Read 3385 times)

Offline David HK

• No Personal Text Set by User
Free CAD software enquiry
« on: February 25, 2020, 07:54:09 pm »
I have recently purchased a new HP all-in-one computer with ready installed Windows 10 software.

In tandem with the above I have a very good Brother MFC-T4500DW printer, scanner etc.

It's all working very well.

My previous computer runs on Windows XP and still contains Auto CAD 2005 and other programmes which run and work normally.

Mr AutoCAD found out that I was running my AutoCAD 2005 on my new computer and has somehow sent me an e-mail which may have contained something nasty because my perpetual license AutoCAD 2005 was extinguished on Windows 10 at the end of January 2020.

I want to avoid purchasing or subscribing to AutoCAD software and would like to enquire if any reader is using "free" CAD software and can they recommend anything in particular.

My old AutoCAD files on the Windows XP machine need to be printed occasionally so any "free" CAD software that can print DWF files would be just fine.

Regards,

David in Hong Kong

Offline frackers

• If it moves - computerise it!
Re: Free CAD software enquiry
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 03:33:23 pm »
QCAD and FreeCAD come to mind - you'll need something like ODA Converter (formerly Teigha Converter) to get to/from DWG files that AutoCAD uses, unless you can export as DXF.
Robin Down Under (or are you Up Over!)

Offline David HK

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 10:50:33 pm »
Frackers,

Thank you for your note.  All understood.

I am fishing around the Internet to ascertain whats likely to be useful. Some Free CAD software options seem to offer processing software. but the small print often fails to make mention of a printing option.

No doubt I will sort myself out in due course.

Trust you are well.

I have now reach 71 years of age and feel it!

Regards,

David HK

Offline David HK

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 02:54:42 pm »
I solved the problem

I still have AutoCAD 2005 perpetual Licence running on my old computer.

I searched around and finally purchased a HP printer which is totally compatible and works well.

David in HK