Author Topic: Homemade wooden blades seal  (Read 4076 times)

Offline charlie_ruizpr

• No Personal Text Set by User
Homemade wooden blades seal
« on: July 28, 2013, 08:15:06 pm »
I have made 10.6' 3 wooden blades on a jig with a saw and have had them stored in the shed for 4-6 months because I do not know what is best used to seal them from the elements. I have seen people use fiberglass resin and it adds weight to the blades and also seen people using varnish but they should re varnish every 14-18 months.  What would you recommend I use to seal them?  Could Thompson's WaterSeal 1-gal. Waterproofer Plus Clear Wood Protector work well? 

Offline philb

• No Personal Text Set by User
Re: Homemade wooden blades seal
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 02:16:59 pm »
I haven't tried water seal.
Fiberglass does add weight to the blades and in my experience, is much harder to rebalance them.
If I go back to wooden blades, I would use a good quailty primer and sealer, then quality oil based paint in several layers. The final step, use copper sheeting on the leading edges. That will save you from repainting them four fold. Leading edge tape is also available from  several aircraft sites on the net. Aircraft Spruce comes to mind.

Offline dang

Re: Homemade wooden blades seal
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 01:42:27 pm »
yes, what philb said - use one makers product system, primer and outdoor porch paint, watch the cure time & temperature religiously... when painting the flooring plywood in my trailer I found the porch paint topcoat I got for 25ยข at a store closing would've required 72 days cure time since we'd lost the warmth of summer!
"It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others" - Anonymous