Renewable Energy Questions/Discussion > Wiring and Code discussion

Tinning Copper Bus bars

<< < (2/3) > >>

Rover:
Thanks Ross, all of the above. Never thought of insulating the copper... good idea.

Ever tried solutions or electroplating ?

Rover

dang:
Even with soldered or electroplated tin there needs to be an anti-tarnish finish, especially in a salt-water environment.

Maybe you are over-thinking this? Get some anti-corrosion paste and avoid the hassle, 3rd degree burns & changing the metal color & temper. Plain or tinned lugs on pure copper w/ protectorant and you should be famous for many years. You had your chance to buy tinned buss stock and declined, go with the flow - glyptol or motor enamel paint on the bars would be a anti-corrosive industrial finish.

Oxy-Acetylene 3000°C - Oxy-MAPP 2900°C - MAPP 2,020°C (3,670°F) - Propane 1,200° – 1,700°C - Butane 1,430°C.

If you really want to play with fire go get a MAPP cylinder and a Heavy-Duty Pencil Burner Tip Torch and some Sn96Ag4 or Sn paste - insulate the bulk of the bar and use indirect heating. Only heat enough to brush on and puddle the solder and move the insulation onward to the next splice pad area. You might have to dress the molten tin surface with a wet rag to even it out & clean it. Maybe avoid the 'self-clean' or 'no-clean' fluxes as they are too corrosive long term - especially when there is salt water nearby.

If you want some caulk-tube sized lead-bearing solder paste - if used with a torch has explosively burnable flux - I can send you some to make the experience more memorable.

brucedownunder:

Many Years ago  (sounds like a bed-time story),,  I got hold of a tin of "tin-rich" paste.. We used to heat the copper ,after wire-brush cleaning perfectly ,smear some tinpaste on it ,heat it til small bubbles come out (thats the molten tin and resin) then quickly wipe off the excess with cotton watse(or rags)..

We used oxy-actelene torch as a heat source , but I have used those small butane hobby torches with success..
  You might pick this stuff up at plumbers,copper distributors,jewellers supplies ..
 Bruce

Norm:
Nice DIY forge run on charcoal....once you get the bus bars hot enough turn off
the blower and let the hot coals keep it hot enough to melt the solder  :)
From there you can use even a small propane torch.
Norm.

ghurd:
Does anyone have much experience with the 'battery terminal protector' spray?
(CRC, Gunk, Lynx, etc)
Thin, runny, red stuff, that does not dry.

After it is tinned, maybe it would help?

I have used it a few times but never was back to those systems to see if it made any difference.
G-

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version