Renewable Energy Questions/Discussion > Wiring and Code discussion

Generator change over switch

(1/2) > >>

noneyabussiness:
Ok... what are the official regs , is it both neutral and Active, after men earthing,  or is it only active and leave neutral alone...

I really wish the regs were made available freely, its stupid it costs 250 odd bucks...

In Australia....

David HK:
Never seen this before.

What is "after men earthing"?

Dave

noneyabussiness:
Is this a better way of asking... is this diagram correct by AS/NZ 3000 standards. .

Pete:
Hello Noneya, 
My memory of the diagrams that one looks right. Unfortunately each supply authority has their own service rules.
I am pretty sure that our local supply authority in Tasmania who are Aurora Energy had a diagram in the back of their service rules that showed something very similar to what your diagram shows. Unfortunately I don't have a copy of those rules anymore.
It definitely had a double pole interlocked switch, switching both the neutral and active. The reason for switching the neutral is that as the system is supplied by a cord and plug arrangement from the generator the polarity is not guaranteed. As in the case of Caravans etc anything supplied by a plug and socket arrangement must have double pole switching.
So in Caravans all switches and Power outlets ( GPOs) are double pole.
As the switch for the generator change over is on the main switchboard the supply authority will notice its existence and as such it must be installed by a qualified contractor in Australia.
Pete

noneyabussiness:
Thank you,  I understand it " must " be installed by a licensed electrician, I can't understand why the rules are such a big secret.  I know there are a lot of idiots out there and i may actually be one, however knowing that may actually make some less idiotic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version