Author Topic: 2019 48v/15kw Sort-of Powerjack  (Read 2929 times)

Offline dochubert

• 11 powerjacks, 9 that run, 3 actually used daily
2019 48v/15kw Sort-of Powerjack
« on: July 31, 2019, 10:37:03 pm »
Sometimes I just don't pay enough attention.  When my backup Powerjack blew up, I bought the best deal on ebay for a low freq 48v/15kw split phase inverter.  Thought I was getting a Powerjack.  When it got here it says U-Power on the case.  Whatever it is, It's the newest version for 2019 with Output Voltage Adjustment right on the front face!  That's worth a lot right there.

8234-0

8236-1

Inside it appears to be powerjack.  Sort of.  The control board is definitely pj.  The control board is larger than the mainboard.  Its a 110v control board.  Would have preferred the 220v control, but it shouldn't  really matter.
It has one large transformer.  About 7.5 inches across.  Doubt its big enough to rate a 15kw rating.  The transformer mounting is off center.
The mainboard is the kicker.  Its very small!  It only has 4 caps.  The heat sinks are solid instead of finned.  The bigger, older models had 3 large gauge wires from positive batt to heatsink.  This baby has 2.  Older version has 6 negative wires.  4 for this model.

It is nicely dressed up inside,  unlike previous models I've opened.  Wires are all neatly dressed and tied up.  No ugly taped wire splices.  I usually make some changes before I even run a new pj, but this one is so pretty inside I hate to disturb the landscape.  At least wanted to take some pics first because I'll never dress it back up like it is now.

So powered it up.  No issues with a light load. Adjusted it to 120v.   Probably won't load it up heavy until I make my changes and connect up external fan controls.  Hard to imagine that this baby powerjack clone could take the same loads my older version does.  Guess we'll find out soon....

8238-2

8240-3

8242-4

We're all going to DIE!  (eventually)

USA = Communist former republic
---  dochubert --

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
Re: 2019 48v/15kw Sort-of Powerjack
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 01:48:59 am »
It does look like a powerjack clone. I am guessing that they just do badge engineering on them. Buy all the boards and parts from PJ, then stick them in their own case.
We had a lot of that in the Auto industry here in OZ.
Hope it does the job, it will be interesting to hear how it goes under load.
Having voltage and frequency adjustments on the front is a bonus for international markets.
Have fun
Pete

Offline dochubert

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 09:43:18 am »
While marveling that the control board is now larger than the mainboard,  I got my flashlight out and read the mosfets.  Not 4110.  These are 3810.  Probably significantly lower current rating would be my guess without looking them up.

---  dochubert --

Offline Warpspeed

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 07:50:46 pm »
Haha, regardless of anything else, that toroid does not look like 15Kw.
Difficult to tell from the pictures, but my guess would be 1Kw or less.

Offline dochubert

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 04:32:56 pm »
A lot has happened since my last post here.
Was this forum down for awhile?  I haven't been able to access this site for several weeks.  Thought you guys were gone.  Then yesterday tried again and its all back like it never left. Did it go down?

Well this little unit was working for me powering half the house, but only after I added a high speed fan to replace the stock fan.  The first time I used it with my fan controls attached I was very dissapointed in that it ran extremely hot.  Only 400-1000w load and it was at 62c on the heatsink and 81c on the transformer.  Tooooo hot. 
So, pulled the bolt and metal plate off the transformer and mounted a 80mm fan on top blowing down into the middle of the trans.  Replaced the stock fan with a 165cfm fan (loud).  And for good measure added a fan to each side of the transformer end of the case pulling hot air out.  With all of that it now runs about 34c at the heatsink and 45-50c for the xfmr.  But that's only loaded to 1000w or so.

That was all fine but I just had to mess with it.  Was trying to slow the hi speed fan a bit to quiet it some, and managed to blow the fets.  I was surprised to hear it talk to me, saying something about 70% (of what I didn't catch) then POP!

Some notes for anyone getting into one of these;
1.  Cooling ability/heat transfer is totally inadequate as shipped.  You must remove the bolt and plate off the transformer to use it with any load at all or I predict burned up units smelling up the countryside!
2.  hy3810 mosfet is what powerjack uses for all 48v units now.  Same voltage and amp ratings as 4110.  Better? Worse?  I'd appreciate a knowledgeable opinion on that.
3.  NO COOLING FINS on the heat sinks.  What were they thinking?  I bought some small finned heatsinks I'm going to try to attach for improved heat transfer.
3.  This 48v unit came with a 12v fan.  The control board puts out 12v at the fan connection.  Maybe that's new with version 10 control boards.  Standardizing to all 12v fans isn't a bad idea.  They should tell someone!
4.  This was advertised as split phase,but was not wired correctly for output.  Craziest wiring I've seen yet on one of these (this is my 5th powerjack).  Someone not expecting issues would have trouble getting 240/120v connected for running a house.
The center tap/neutral of the xfmr was wired to the L1 input of the control board and was monitored by the hall sensor for the lcd screen.  Then L1 output from control board went to the resettable breaker and to all L1 output connections.  The real L1 lead from the xfmr was connected as the neutral.  That will work fine for someone just using 120v but talk about non-standard!  The L2 lead from the xfmr was connected to the battery fuse and then to the L2 output connector.
That means the input for the battery charging function is not fused at all.  Not important to me as I don't use the battery charging function and just disconnect it on all my units.

So, this powerjack clone is down for now until I get my other units back up.

Anyway, glad the site is back up (if it was down?)

---  dochubert --

Offline dochubert

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 10:27:58 am »
Since I got the rubber wheel for spacers under the transformer of the dual lcd big inverter, figured I might as well cut 4 more for this little inverter too.  This inverter will probably never output what the bigger units do, but getting rid of the heat efficiently gives it the best chance to provide a useful output.

8437-0

8439-1

Not ready to repair this one just yet, but this needed doing anyway.

---  dochubert --