Author Topic: Playing with the guts of a Sega Genesis ( MegaDrive)  (Read 7973 times)

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
Playing with the guts of a Sega Genesis ( MegaDrive)
« on: January 01, 2012, 09:49:17 pm »
Well, lets get something on this forum started. Guess since this is one of the more fun things I've done recently.. I will do a short post

As I can never leave well enough alone, and being a fan of classic gaming I wondered what all I could do with my old Genesis system. I had done this back in the 90s learning as I went, cpu changes, overclock etc.. back before the net had tons of such tinkerings, but I wondered what others have done in the time since. A few google searchs later I found a number of mods for overclocking the 68000 processor,  multi region hacks, svideo mods, and one I decided would be the most interesting to me was swapping out the CPU with the pin compatible 68010 CPU.

So dug up a 68010 on the net,
Which then one of them was shipped like this

Yeah that was in a padded envelope shipped just like that
I gotta give the seller a lot of credit, he replaced it hassle free, shipped this time in a very protected container..
Then dug out the soldering equipment and...

desoldering original

Put the new cpu and the old one in a red standard socket to protect the cpu pins with swapping,
and soldered a ZIF socket into the Genesis system

I'll post more on the mods on this system with better pics and how each is done as time allows.

This CPU change adds some incompatibilities for some games, sometimes odd effects. But most games work, and in a large amount of them you see some places that would generally lag, not so much ( or at all after overclocking) PCM sounds are many times much better sounding also.

Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline Ax3s

Some of our handheld game systems
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 10:58:43 pm »

36 AA battery's 1 laptop battery 1 phone battery and 2 psp battery's lot of power right there....