Transportation > Fossil / Other Fuels

4 stroke lawn mower converted to steam, fabricating boiler

<< < (3/10) > >>

Wolvenar:
Iv used JB weld for many things, some work well, but others didn't fare so well. Any which way, its all fun to learn what works and what does not.

My latest was sealing a 90 degree elbow in an oil pan to us e to relocate the drain for the boat.

This worked but was very slow to drain.
 I have the engine out again as a new engine problem came up, and found the JB weld really held well. 
In fact it held so well when I wanted to remove the elbow to drill and place a larger pipe, I broke the elbow off instead of breaking the JB weld trying to get it out.

I have also used JB weld to rebuild impeller pump surfaces with a lot of luck.

I have on occasion used JB weld to recondition badly corroded carbs.
I have learned that it works well in iron carbs, but in aluminum carbs in extreme temp environments, the JB weld will crumble as things contract.. I found this unpleasant surprise one spring after failing to be able to start an ATV  I did this with.

Ahh well its all fun, anything I really need done right, I wont leave it to chance.

Burnit0017:
Hi, the JB weld was rock hard but after a short time the steam turned it into a soft rubbery state and it just fell apart. There are problems with converting a 4 stroke to a engine. The oil pan fills with water. At some point I will have to get a standard steam engine.

The added steam drum to the boiler was a bad idea. It acted like a condenser and the system pressure never exceeded 16 psi. I removed the steam drum and I am using a air compressor pump as a water feed pump. The new water feed pump works well but the oil pan also fills with water. I did a hydrostatic test of the boiler and max pressure is 80 psi with no leaks.  I ran the boiler for one hour and from a cold start it reached 60 psi in 10 minutes. I open the bypass valve and as long as I was pumping water into the boiler it maintained  40 psi. 

The mono tube boiler is working, once I solve the engine problems I can connect a PMA and start to determine how current it will generate.
I will post results when available.

Burnit0017:
//www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKIt95UrBSM
the engine is running again

new cam modifications, work on boiler control circuitry

Burnit0017:
Not a valid youtube URL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yVgEixbDoY8
Hi, I found this video of a manually operated monotube boiler, check out the second attempt. I am taking a few days to modify my boiler.

Burnit0017:
//www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQmDLvsFL7c//www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQmDLvsFL7c
Hi, converted to 2 cycle to steam. Requires min of 40 psi to operate. As the fire increased I could observe the engine RPM increase. Longest run was about 3 minutes. When the fire dies or the boiler runs out of water the pressure drops.  Working on larger firebox and finding a better water pump. Suggestions welcome.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version