Author Topic: testing the egs002 inverter board  (Read 147706 times)

Offline Sandramar

Re: testing the egs002 inverter board
« Reply #450 on: September 24, 2017, 10:10:20 pm »
Hi Oztules,
This is an amazing post. I am from Dominican republic and we use 120VAC and 60HZ, I was wondering iff you ever try EI transformer with Charger tap ?
I have  built modified sinewave inverters in the past with built in charger (Triac modulated). but never with these EGmicro chips .
Any advise on this road I am about to take?

Thanks in advance

SandraMar
I didn't know it couldn't be done, so I did it

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #451 on: September 26, 2017, 04:24:51 am »
There should be enough info in there and here http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8807&PN=1

A discussion of the EI is there as well.... in fact if you pull up the electronics discussion board, a good deal of it relates to these inverters.

Just do it.

........oztules

Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline Sandramar

« Reply #452 on: September 27, 2017, 06:07:49 pm »
Oztules,

I have ordering  couple of the EGS002 and EGP1000 boards to play with.
 I´m planing to play with the EG8010 RS232 interface which looks very straight forward but using a PIC16FXXX.

Lets see how it goes with EI and all

Thanks for your reply

Sandramar

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #453 on: September 27, 2017, 08:42:51 pm »
The EI will be fine, but remember idle current will be double, and transformer size will be twice as heavy for the same continuous ratings.

But the result should be very similar but for those two points.

Beware the current control of the EGS002... although the EI will mostly ,mitigate the problems I guess.

You will get a perfectly good unit if you copy the boards over there.. they are paint by numbers, and will give you a very good unit from the get go.

.........oztules

Offline Sandramar

« Reply #454 on: September 27, 2017, 10:37:18 pm »
Thanks for the advise, I´ll begin with grid tie 1500-2000w units with transfer and then when i get use to it will jump on the toroidal train.
I have a PIC16XXX modulated battery charger (Triac based) to control the Charger section . I´m excited to test the Behavior of the charger section using the Mosfet as Diodes on these.
Reading the EG8010 manual I may change settings on the unit through a Menu and visualize the parameters out of the IC itself but diplayed in a cheap Nokia display.Fancy but doable in my opinion among other things as Editable welcome screen .

Would you  know if i Turn off the SPWM the unit would be still showing TEMP, VOLTs FREQ Current _?

I really appreciate all efforts you and this community achieve.

My hat off, sincerely

Sandra

Offline RFburns

« Reply #455 on: September 28, 2017, 02:35:23 am »
So I am thinking that the small transformer on the control board for the feed back can be done away with ;the required turns of a small diameter wire added to the main transformer  ;) . RF
Get With It ,Get Over It , Get On With It ...Or Leave

Cheap and reliable wont be fast.
Cheap and fast wont be reliable.
Reliable and fast wont be cheap.

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #456 on: September 28, 2017, 07:05:03 am »
Sandra, if you are wanting to control a grid tie into the inverter as a powerful charger, there are boards and information on the other site to achieve total control of the grid tie output into the ozinverter. http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9734&PN=1 , also Madness has done a rework making all the stuff together on the one board here: http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9903&PN=1

Don't know about the screen behavior at all.

.........oztules

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #457 on: September 28, 2017, 07:09:13 am »
RF, that will work, but voltage control will be a bit sloppy, as it does not reflect the losses in the secondary under loads.

Using the little tranny gives exceptionally stable voltage control..... better than most of the commercial ones, and load recovery is simply amazing. If you switch in a few kilowatts, there is no light flicker or dimming..... and from 0 - 5kw, the output voltage does not sag.

............oztules

Offline Sandramar

« Reply #458 on: September 28, 2017, 09:10:35 am »
Noted !! those post are amazing .
Let me explain you a little bit about the way the inverters are used here : Since I live in a 3rd world country, Grid blackouts are something we get every day if you live in a good zone you may experiment at lest 3 or 4 shorts blackouts a week but for a normal zone at least 1 blackout  a day .I would say 90% of the inverters here are Modified sinewave the remaining 10% are mostly sinewave  and GTI with Solar panels.
but for the vast majority  is imperative to recharge the batteries  (normally 6vdc deep cycle batteries with serie/parallel configuration) fast and safest possible.
The inverters do transfer and charging automatically as the  XANTREX normally does (former TRACE).
In order to protect the battery life, the charger is a sensitive component of the inverter here.

Here attached a picture of a common charger triac based, which by the way I use a PIC16FXXX based which has the algorithm for 3 stage depending if it is 12 or  24vdc or even 48 if its necessary .
That is why my curiosity about these EG8010 and Grid tie charging
Thanks once again guys for your replies

SM

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
« Reply #459 on: September 28, 2017, 08:14:21 pm »
SM, I've been having a quick look at your schematic and there are a few things in there that I have to question.
The most glaring one is the charge current sensing. Using a CT with a bridge rectifier means basically no output from it until you get to 2 forward voltage drops. I suppose to some extent, having the burden resistor (R03) after the diodes may help mitigate that, and perhaps the fact you are not overly concerned about current at the low end lets you get away with a bit more... but as a design that someone might try to lift and use elsewhere, I'd think that either a precision rectifier (full or half-wave) would be a better plan?

I also don't see any battery voltage monitoring - what stops the battery overcharging?

Offline Sandramar

« Reply #460 on: September 28, 2017, 11:09:07 pm »
Ross,
 This is just an example for a very basic Modulated Triac based charger for a modified Sine wave inverter used around here .
The Main  transformer has a "Charger Tap" which increase the charging voltage when the GRID is In, This circuit can be used on a 12/24vdc units.
 RV02 Set the charging cut off voltage and RV01 set the charging rate.CN1 is a mini transformer sometimes on board and CN2 is a Mini-Tran transformer (acts as CT ) but physically is just a small EI minitransformer whith a gap where you just passthrough the wire  from Charger Tap  to the triac is  Nothing fancy , we use a Microcontroller based unit for better control of the 3 charging states .
So I really want to see how the charger would behave with this OZinverter PCB
Here attached a picture of the charging unit

SM

Offline RFburns

« Reply #461 on: September 30, 2017, 06:28:10 am »
Not something I am seeing ,voltage control seem pretty good ; maybe my loads just aren't as big. RF
Get With It ,Get Over It , Get On With It ...Or Leave

Cheap and reliable wont be fast.
Cheap and fast wont be reliable.
Reliable and fast wont be cheap.

Offline Sandramar

« Reply #462 on: September 30, 2017, 08:42:52 am »
Oztules,

I'been digesting all 3 links you  provided and now among some others.
 I'm pretty sure that the Triac modulated charger would work nicely.Unfortunately for me I need to wait for my EG8010 gear to arrive and test.
I definitively will add the SCR for current control/protection. My only concern (just theory  now for me until  i get the units) if this SCR circuit will affect some initial momentaneus high demand of current , specially for inductor loads.
I love the Idea of GTI feedeing the Ozinverter , That is just awesome. Would like to know if there is "poor's man GTI" design ?.
I couldn't register in that forum , dunno why. I wanted to tip in about the EG8010 PLL sinc with the 50hz main. I lately using a PIC microcontroller PIC16(L)F19156 that has Zero-Cross detection circuit that can be implemented straight from the AC without transformer. Here is the link in case you are interested  http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/90003138A.pdf

RF,
The circuit when is used with a microcontroller  it really works fine .Do you work on RF ? wondering since is really my background

SM

Offline Sandramar

« Reply #463 on: October 10, 2017, 05:25:28 pm »
Gents,
While I'm waiting for parts and boards and trying to make my own version of your Experienced board, I been researching a lot about Toroidal transformers which are not common around here to experiment with I have decided to built my own from scratch (talking about the core). I have found this toroid calculator , would this work in real life?

I would like to achieve a decent quality affordable core while getting all experience along the process  .
Based of your experience in terms of practice ability which would go go after :
Grain oriented Electrical Steel CRGO or Non-oriented Electrical steel CRNGO
my target would be 24vdc for less than 2.5kw and 48vdc up to 6kw

Thanks in advance

Sandra

Offline frackers

• If it moves - computerise it!
« Reply #464 on: October 10, 2017, 10:43:32 pm »
You will find details on how to make a toroid transformer from scrap in my gallery here http://gilks.ath.cx/gallery3/Building-a-PJ-inverter
Robin Down Under (or are you Up Over!)