The Corner Tavern. > Classifieds

Replacing NiCad cells in cordless drill pac

<< < (2/10) > >>

MadScientist267:
Norm -

How cost effective is this to do? I'm assuming new cells, didn't see it mentioned specifically (or I missed it). Couldn't see doing this with used cells, a lot of work wasted if one of the cells decides it was only "faking" in the individual testing phase, particularly with high discharge rates.

I realize that replacement packs are retarded expensive when they are genuine, but I can't help but wonder if the savings on replacing the cells yields "profit" when you factor in your time.

And yes, one of the most predictable aspects of NiCd is the rapid fall off right at the nominal voltage. Another reason not to utilize used cells - a slight imbalance will amplify quickly and lead to cell reversal, which of course pretty much drives the final nail in the coffin for the pack.

Just an observation... ;)

Steve

tomw:
Steve;

I think he is still using "recycled" packs from Bruce S that are cycled out of service on medical equipment.

All perfectly good but they swap them at a specific time regardless of the condition.

I got some from Bruce long ago and they all tested and at or better than factory spec.

Just sayin...

Tom

Norm:
(continuing)

taking the cells and bundling them together
I used a rubber band to make this one.......
Marking around the cells on a piece of cardboard,
then using a utility knife I cut out a template so I
could fit the pairs in ....some go in right side up
and the next pair in line goes upside down.

Now the next thing is to solder the other half of the
tabs that I have already soldered the first half.
I have previously checked each cell, but you should
triple check before soldering them together....
This is just a hobby and I am out to help as others
have helped me....the money for these kits is to handle
shipping cost only.and materials not including batteries
....the batteries for the time being are free until I run out
of spare batteries.
wishing all of you my best.....
much fun here in NE Ohio !
Norm.

Norm:
almost forgot....the red marks indicate the tabs connecting
the cells underneath....just in case you were wondering.....
Norm.

MadScientist267:
Ahh, ok. Now that you mention it, I do remember stories of a rash of NiCds that were floating around with Bruce's name associated with them.

Can't beat free, so yup, you got me there. ;)

They are tough little critters, but in lengthy strings weird problems crop up in my experience. Of course, medical grade stuff is long known for its thorough and stringent testing. I remember a store that sold old surplus military and medical equipment. My strongest recollection was the fact that even if something was used for 5 years, sat in storage for another 5, and then made its way to this place and sat on the shelf for another 10, operation of gutted parts was invariably superior, and complete units were gold mines for way cheaper than you could ever expect to buy them elsewhere. This was pre-internet... Too bad they shut down, I loved that place.

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version