The Corner Tavern. > Weather

Hottest July ever in my area are the airports recording the temps right?

<< < (2/7) > >>

Wolvenar:
@dang

I actually have a couple that are professional grade setups that follow these guidelines, they are in normally agreement with my not so well setup within a couple degrees.
I live out in the woods nearly surrounded by lakes and swamp..
If anything I *should* be seeing cooler temperatures in the summer.

It's interesting that I match the airport in more moderate but still sunny without wind weather of 85F to about -20F.
Every time it gets beyond that the results are rather predictably different.

Wolvenar:
@Isaiah

This year has been quite hard on our plants as well.
Most of our trees are doing well, even the ones I transplanted this spring.
With what should be plenty suitable watering the more water hungry garden plants are not doing well.
The ground is damp as I have kept it all other years, I even tried adding an extra watering time to the timers when they started looking bad with no help.
Most of our tomatoes plants are still puny acting very stressed yet trying to produce tomatoes..
But the big boy tomatoes and all of our peppers are all loving it and doing outstanding.
All melons died long ago but cucumbers are trying to take over that real estate ( never seen them get THIS big of plants)

It has been an odd gardening year to say the least, but then I guess I have been saying that since about 2007.

hiker1:
send some of that hot air up here...its been the coldest summer on record !!
not to mention the last few winters as well...!

ghurd:
Neither here nor there:
Local mini-airport / AFB / weather hub is maybe 4 miles away?

My car, Prius   :-\ , even sitting still, almost always says within 2F of what the radio says, except in mall parking lot type situations.
Some other cars will report >20F different in less severe circumstances.

I would guess it is localized to an island, or the housing.
Its not like they stuck a $500 thermometer in a car, right?
G-

Isaiah:
 Wolvenar and all
It seems to be the Cherry trees that are taking it the hardest the apple trees are holding on to their leaves .
 I contacted the place I got them and they told me to soak them about 10 gallons a day!
What I did was I took old car tires 235x15's and with the saws all cut out one side wall then  I took my Disc grinder and cut the bead  on the sidewall not cut out then took the saws all and cut across the tread and side wall so I can get it off the tree at a later date if they grow.Then I put them around the tree with  the side with the side wall still in up,and took a twine string and tied them back in shape and filled them with leaves and old hay to help mulch and hold moisture.otherwise the chickens and other critters scratch the mulch away.
 The cherry I planted last year was doing good had many blossoms that got frosted but it kept going til the heat hit and now has lost all the leaves.
The guy told me to keep watering it , and said if it is still green it should make it.
That's why I haven't been here much lately I was either covering things so they didn't freeze or watering trees then the garden.
sweet corn and melons are getting scarce around here. wal mart has some but not real good. we bought a big seeded water melon from them and cut it open and looked like it was cooked inside was all soft and acky tasting, will go to the chicken's.
I've babbled enough ,
Isaiah

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version