Off Grid Living / Camping > Camping / Camp sites / Recreational Vehicles

Black Bears in Ohio

<< < (2/11) > >>

hiker1:
lots of bears around town these last few years--cops had to go in a shoot a few of them--took five shots to bring one little black bear down--no idea what kind of ammo they use...    when im out hiking i also have noticed a lot of scat on the  trails--more than normal..found a few remains of sheep as well..i carry a ruger 44mag with me
when im out and about...heres a shot i put in the local rag...just click on the  right of the pic. to advance to the next one...might have to go throu  a few to see mine..
just a few shots of sheep ive incountered...
 http://www.adn.com/2008/06/18/v-gallery/440558/the-good-bad-and-ugly-of-anchorage.html#id=2517964&view=large_view

tomw:
@hiker;

Beautiful, wild country up there.

Thanks for the share.

@97fishmt;

I know I need fresh glasses but I can't seem to find a bear in that photo?

Tom

97fishmt:
Hi Tom,

I know...  He's about 100 yards down the hill.  That's why I sent the picture full sized.

If you click on the picture then click on it again it will magnify it and he is to the right of
the trees in the foreground further down the hill.  Nice color for a black bear huh?

I went to the gun store and really don't know what I'm looking for.  I want something
the missus can handle.  The guy was showing me a .357 revolver but I think I would
like something with a clip so I could have extra clips with me for ease of reloading.

He sure was a cool site out my kitchen window.   He was all the way down the hill when
I finally got the camera out and went over to the edge to get a picture of him.

Mike

tomw:
@97fishmt;

I would definitely NOT go below a .357 Magnum for bear proofing. That eliminates the .38 special, 9 mm, .380 and the like.

There is a semi auto called a .357 Sig which might qualify for that use but I have never even seen one let alone fired one. There  is also the .40 cal in semi autos but I read mixed reviews on it for stopping power.

It is a bit of a large pistol in the full size versions but you can have plenty of stopping power in hand with a Colt 1911 or copy in .45 ACP. Plenty of punch, magazines easily carried to load on the run as it were.  It might be a bit raw for a smaller person but it will definitely provide real firepower in hand. It Can use 7 to 10 plus round magazines depending on the version. If 7 doesn't stop whatever is after you, another 10 in a magazine may not matter. I always say it is not about the rounds available it is about placement. These are very common, simple, reasonably accurate, durable, battle proven and ammo is easily found because there are probably hundreds of thousands  of them in use.

I prefer revolvers for woods carry for lots of reasons and have a big ole Colt Anaconda in .44 Mag and of I can't stop it with six from that thing at close range it likely can't be stopped by any common handgun. My wife refuses to fire it because it has a lot of recoil but a "full size" guy like me doesn't mind the kick.

Tom

Wolvenar:
It still took me some time to find it on my cell on the big pic, so I am posting this for those without a big screen

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version