Renewable Energy Questions/Discussion > Wiring and Code discussion

Battery bus design

<< < (2/10) > >>

tomw:

--- Quote from: ChrisOlson on April 28, 2012, 10:18:52 am ---I got a four bar 2,000 amp DC bus (for two inverters) from SquareD, rated 250 volts.  It has 6061 aluminum bars in it.  Seems to me that most all of the commercially made power panels use aluminum bus bars, including the DC Conduit Box for Xantrex inverters.

--
Chris

--- End quote ---

I guess I need to preface comments with "In my Day"..

Anyway, I have personally had bad luck trying Al for battery interconnects. All the power boxes I salvaged had copper bars in them but being a dinosaur my experience is dated. Not all aluminum is created equal, either.

What counts is accuracy.

Tom

ksouers:
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I'm not keen on the idea of using aluminum. I grew up with the stories of house fires started because of aluminum wiring. My personal experience is that it usually reacts badly when in contact with other metals. During trips to Home Despot and others it seems that all the commercial bus bars are aluminum. Copper or brass is not available anymore. They also seemed too small and only accepted #10 or #8 wire. I'd prefer #4. The price of copper has just gotten obscene the past couple years. A 100 foot coil of 10/2 wire is almost $200!

The scrap dealers here are a funny lot. There are only a couple and I think they are all related somehow. They really don't want to deal with walk-in traffic and small lots and will always try to rip you off. Even after haggling the price is not really any better than some of the online retailers. Since they are a long drive and out of my way to go there I'd just as soon save the aggravation and order it.

I have 6061 aluminum billet in the shop I can use, but that's a last resort. I'm not desperate, yet. I like the idea of using PVC for covers. I'll have to think about that one.

Thanks again,

Kevin

ChrisOlson:

--- Quote from: ksouers on April 28, 2012, 01:03:01 pm ---During trips to Home Despot and others it seems that all the commercial bus bars are aluminum. Copper or brass is not available anymore. They also seemed too small and only accepted #10 or #8 wire.

--- End quote ---

Whoa - don't use those.  Those are for ground strips in AC service panels.  The bars in my SquareD bus are about 1/2" thick and 1 1/2" wide.  They got a big screw lug on the top that accepts 4/0 cable and the rest of the bar is drilled and tapped for 5/16" NF bolts.

Anything you find at Home Depot is going to be a toy for DC.
--
Chris

ksouers:

--- Quote from: ChrisOlson on April 28, 2012, 09:04:49 pm ---
--- Quote from: ksouers on April 28, 2012, 01:03:01 pm ---During trips to Home Despot and others it seems that all the commercial bus bars are aluminum. Copper or brass is not available anymore. They also seemed too small and only accepted #10 or #8 wire.

--- End quote ---

Whoa - don't use those.
--
Chris

--- End quote ---

Had no intention to. Way too small. I've looked several times and they have no other bus bars of any kind.

I checked current prices with one of the online vendors I use for metal stock. Copper is a bloody fortune, brass is a little more than 2/3rd that price.
A two foot piece is about the price of a tank of gas.  :o  Both are quite ridiculous.

Kevin

ghurd:

--- Quote from: ChrisOlson on April 28, 2012, 10:18:52 am ---It has 6061 aluminum bars in it.

--- End quote ---

Why do you believe it is 6061?
That's kind of a generic type of AL considering all the types made.  Seems like with all the different types, someone must make something special.

--- Quote from: ksouers on April 28, 2012, 01:03:01 pm ---I'm not keen on the idea of using aluminum....
Home Despot and others...

--- End quote ---

Me too, about the AL.

600W and 1000W inverter, and a couple hundred watts of solar?
I was thinking more along the lines of parts for those obnoxious car stereos.  Retailers like best buy, or "stereo parts to PO your neighbors at 2:30AM with crappy music and rattling windows dot com".

I like ebay because of the photos, but.... here is a quick copy/paste with some pricing, they all have a cover, and these were all on the 1st page of my search.

STINGER SPD5210. SKU: SPD5210. Fused Distribution: ANL. Input Gauge (s): 0 Gauge. Inputs: 1. Output Gauge (s): 4 Gauge. Outputs: 2. ($30)

AudioPipe PB-1448. 1 in 4 out configuration. 4/6/8 gauge compatible (IN). 8/10/12 gauge compatible (OUT) . ($13)

AUDIOBAHN ADB48 CAR AUDIO STEREO WIRE DISTRIBUTION BLOCK (1) 4GA IN (4) 8GA OUT ($12)

Platinum Car Stereo Distribution Block. One 4 Gauge Input. Four 8 Gauge Outputs. Works with Power or Ground Wires. Platinum Finish with Gold Hardware. ($8)

All prices were "Buy Now" and included 'free S&H'.

Be hard pressed to find a metal retailer who would SHIP enough material to make a bus bar for $8 in S&H?
That's how I was thinking,
G-

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version