Author Topic: Boat trailer rebuld  (Read 4860 times)

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
Boat trailer rebuld
« on: April 10, 2012, 12:25:46 am »
Last month I picked up a boat trailer for $50, it was in need of some work, but salvageable.

The first problem was someone tried to pull this trailer with only one lug nut on the wheel.
Of course this bent that wheel up pretty bad..
I thought I had an easy swap/fix, until I found out the hubs are all very old and the wheels have very large center holes for the hubs.
This meant that an easy swap of wheels with spares I had wasn't going to happen.

(first glance it looks like it would work)

Well after a little more investigation I found that the bearings in this hub were also bad, and the seals were bad in the other side ( good bearings though)
Figured I would just replace one, and use the two to rebuild the other side..

Original axle cut off

New *much* heavier duty axle

Cut and drilled a plate and welded in place to hold the new axle, drilled a hole in the very hard metal axle (yeah that took some time) to weld in a bolt for the shock.

All together and primed. I will be sand blasting the entire thing once I get fenders on and the rest ready so not going to get to picky here yet.

Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
Re: Boat trailer rebuld
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 12:52:20 pm »
That's pretty cool.  I haven't seen one of them with that coil spring setup for years.  I had one about 20 years ago.  It was a TeeNee trailer.  Cripes we dragged that thing to Canada many times with a Shell Lake tri-hull on it.
--
Chris