Renewable Energy Questions/Discussion > Automation, Controls, Inverters, MPPT, etc

MPPT

<< < (2/3) > >>

philb:
This is probably going to be a dumb question.

Are switch mode power supplies also MPPT? 

SWPS's take variable voltages on the input and keep the output voltage constant, as I understand.

rossw:

--- Quote from: philb on January 07, 2012, 10:42:44 pm ---Are switch mode power supplies also MPPT? 

SWPS's take variable voltages on the input and keep the output voltage constant, as I understand.

--- End quote ---

Most modern MPPT devices incorporate switch-mode power supply concepts and parts. But few SMPS will be capable of MPPT without modification.

Bryan1:
G'day ArtV,
                 Ok I did say that circuit was the barebones basically a pic32 running basic will control it, I am going to do this for my PV array first as it will be easier. Now for wind one will have cube the output for windspeed which will mean a total new algorithm.

Now if and when I can get this done I do feel it will be the Bees knees in stuff so I do doubt it will be public. But what the hell if guys want to come in on this lets do this project together and make it a real thing.

Programming in basic does seem easy and with these Duinomite boards it should be a breeze so keep tuned and stuff might happen.................

Cheers Bryan

Burnit0017:
  //www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TE38SOdf64

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TE38SOdf64
This is a video that demonstrates the benefits of using a MPPT circuit with the system.
I was so inspired by the video that I start a project to determine if just a variable input volt buck converter would have the same benefits for just charging a battery bank. I have a basic circuit and now I am just trying to oscillate the MOSFET at a fixed frequency. Then test with the PMA at fixed RPM and than determine what kind of micro control is needed.   

madlabs:
Bryan,

DIY MPPT is kind of a holy grail for me. What power levels are you planning? I got a PV mppt going but after about 5 amps the FET got too hot. I wasn't driving it correctly and I was playing on perfboard.

I now have access to a CNC PCB machine. Trouble is I don't have the design skills to desing the circuit. Are you making schematics with a CAD? I'd love to find someone to collaborate with. While I am not an EE, I do have a scope or two, a decent sized PV array, good soldering and assembly skills.

I'd like to be able to make DIY mppt that can handle 20 or more amps.

Jonathan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version