Off Grid Living / Camping > Survival Skills

Civilian Combat Statistics...

(1/5) > >>

tomw:
Interesting stuff.

Civilian Combat statistics found in my K-TOG list mail today :

Interesting article on this by Ed Lovette in the February issue of Combat Handguns.
(The data is from Mr. Lovette's own research and I would love to see the from where it came.)

!) Location--vast majority happen in the victims home or place of business.

2) Lighting Conditions--Victim usually has the chance to get the lights on.

3) Distance--0-10 feet. Most between 6-10 feet.

4) Duration---actual shooting was over in seconds or a fraction of seconds.

5) Physical contact rarely involved but when it did was exceptionally violent.

6) Number of shots fired was often one but an average of three.

7) Movement--movement was usually to retrieve the pistol and then to confirm the problem.
There was no "pieing" or searching, no moving while shooting or lateral movement to avoid gunfire.

8] Use of security equipment ( OC spray, knife, flashlight etc)..NONE!!!

9) Use of Cover--Almost non existant.

10) Firing positions---Shots fired by the Armed Citizen (AC) were most frequently from the standing position, several were on their back in bed, only one fired using the bed as cover.

11) Type of Weapon Used.. AC overwelmingly used a .38 revolver.

12) Response of Bad Guy When Shot---He most often stopped fighting and ran off, closely followed by stopping fighting and falling down. When the AC fired a contact shot into the bad guys torso/neck the fight was usually over very quickly.

13) Verbal Exchange Between AC and Bad Guy---Almost always.

14) Training by AC---Overwhelmingly none, followed by a small number who had taken a CCW course and a very small amount who had fired a handgun while in the military.

My take on this:

Some of these statistics are the reverse of what they teach in combat courses. Moving while firing, range for practice shooting and a couple others.

I practice at 30 to 50 feet so figure anything in between is only going to be off an inch or 2 max and be inconsequential. I will be doing more point and shoot training at 10 feet now, however.

Some would say sleeping with and carrying a gun makes me paranoid. I say what do I have to be paranoid about, I am well armed?

Within 10 feet anyone should be capable of an offhand "point and shoot" torso shot, not the 30 feet they preach when most would need somewhat careful aiming to hit well.

Not much for caliber data included other than most were a .38 wheel gun but to me that just means "any gun in hand is better than the perfect gun in another place".

The part about training of most of the citizens doing the defensive shooting being non existent is interesting, too.

We gave up trying to turn Buddy into an attack / guard dog:

That failed so we decided to leverage our 2nd amendment rights. Hopefully never have to use these tools but it is always better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them!

A Sheriff's Deputy can get to an intruder here in about 20 minutes @ 60 MPH any of my pistols can get there in a couple milliseconds @ 1000 Feet per Second or faster.

Just my rant for the morning.

To you non Americans please realise it is an American thing and not intended to offend Guns are just tools.

Tom

bj:
  This non-American is not offended in any way.   ;)

WooferHound:
I'm afraid to have a gun around. My wife gets real drunk sometimes and then it's easy to piss her of badly. Not sure I could trust her in those situations.

ghurd:
One of the famous combat instructor / writer guys had some ideas about some of those points.

2) The AC does not really need the lights on, and knows the layout.
I can get out of bed, out of the room, through the hall, down the stairs, to the bathroom (washroom in metric), and 'hit the mark', all in the dark.
The Bad Guy (BG) is lucky to get around without making noise in my house, let alone know where the bedroom is.

7) The BG is expecting a cakewalk.  "Loud noises" are most probably unexpected.

11) DA wheelgun is stupid simple, .38 is common in small wheelguns, and there are tons of them floating around from nearly a century of being common, so no surprise to me.
At my house, a 2" DA .38 sleeps next to a condition 2 1911.  The .38 is faster to use, IMHO.  1911 is for after I'm out of bed.

14)  Probably no 'formal' training.  Anyone ready for the situation in that regard probably had "Dad Training" since they were 7 YO.
Not sure when my "Dad Training" started, but I popped my first whistlepig (only the head visable, BTW) from about 80 yards with a 5mm Rem Mag when I was 5, my own rifle at 7, and my own wheelgun at 12.

A)  ACs have a better ratio of wins:losses than the PDs.
The writer guy mostly said it was due to the numbered things above, and I agree.
There was no A) above.  Just seeing if you are paying attention.

Thinking of upgrading the 2" .38 to similar in .44 Special.
Not exactly a common item in SS at what I wanna spend on a whim, but been looking for 5 years anyway. LOL
G-

Freejuice:
Years ago,; until his retirement my Dad was an investigator with the local sheriff's office, and he was always undergoing some kind of training with the ATF or FBI, this or that ...he came home one day telling me about an interesting  FBI statistic in which most gun battles ( 80%) were within 10 feet....phone booth work, up close and personal

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version