Product Information > Ghurd's product support

My Changing Dump Rate on Ghurd Controller

(1/3) > >>

WooferHound:
Hey Ghurd
I had talked to you in E-Mail in the past about the Dump Rate changing Speeds on my Ghurd Dump controller. The dump rate will alternate between Fast & Slow in 2 second intervals. You had sent me a replacement controller and it did the same thing. Then I bought 2 more controllers and the one that I installed is also doing the same thing again. This is not a bad problem and is really only barely noticeable. I do not consider this to be a design problem or defect.

You mentioned in another post (somewhere) that the LED indicator is tied right onto the output drive circuit, but the dropping resistor for the LED should not allow it to effect normal operations. However I have 2 LED indicators tied to that output through 1000 ohm resisters. One LED is on the Dump controller itself, and the other LED is 110 feet away in the house through telephone wire. Both LED resistors are on the controller board.

Could my double LEDs be effecting the way the controller operates ?

ghurd:
Double Leeds should have no effect like you are describing.
It would reduce the hysteresis a tiny bit.  It should stay stable under identical conditions.

The only thing I can think of that would cause something like that is a small load on the battery that changes every 2 seconds.
G-

Rover:
Probably his fancy strobe unit

sorry Woof... grin

WooferHound:
Thanks Ghurd
I don't consider this to be a problem.
When it's dumping at high frequency at alternates between 50 & 60 flashes a second, the rate is too fast to see by eye but it appears to go bright-dim-bright-dim every 2 seconds, again this is barely noticeable.
Don't have a Wind Turbine to watch so I am probably paying too much attention to my solar Dump Indicators.

rossw:

--- Quote from: WooferHound on January 24, 2012, 10:49:00 am ---You mentioned in another post (somewhere) that the LED indicator is tied right onto the output drive circuit, but the dropping resistor for the LED should not allow it to effect normal operations. However I have 2 LED indicators tied to that output through 1000 ohm resisters. One LED is on the Dump controller itself, and the other LED is 110 feet away in the house through telephone wire. Both LED resistors are on the controller board.

--- End quote ---

Silly question: but why did you put the remote LED on the FET drive side?
 (a) Any induced noise in the long 110 foot cable will be coupled onto the FET gate, and may affect its operation
 (b) It would seem far more "sensible" to me, to put the LED in parallel with the actual dump load itself.

Option (b) overcomes the (potential) problem of (a), and also gives you positive indication that the FET is actually working too.

Just my 2c.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version