Renewable Energy Questions/Discussion > Wind and Hydro

Blades stalling

<< < (2/19) > >>

TurboMiles:
This is the history, factory hye1000l on a 55' tower.  Basic 80 amp eBay rectifier with 2 eBay1000w 22-60v grid tie inverter.  When the turbine would stay in the wind I could see 1200-1300 watts max.  Typical 200-400w in 13-18mph wind, it worked great.  Then a storm took the blades off.  These G5 blades are 37" long, it's almost 80" swept area and the stock blades had a swept area of 77", same hub.  These G5 blades are consistent in wind from 6-9mph.  6 is worth 5 watts, 7 10 watts, 8 20watts, 9 40 watts, but when the wind hits 10 it goes to 50 maybe, 11 maybe 50, a lot of times I see the power go down.  It requires about 18mph to achieve 100 watts.  I had a slip ring problem do I deleted it, connected directly now.  Had a rectifier problem, homemade a substantial rectifier.  The only thing left is the blades.  If I disconnect the turbine and let the wind spin it up and connect it again, I see huge numbers, then it just falls off over the next few seconds. So where the power falls off is at 10 mph and it's making about 50 watts.  I see my blades making power on YouTube, so I don't understand why they don't make power on my turbine. 
The turbine does not have a furling tail, it is fixed.

TurboMiles:
I have found that removing 1 of the 3 phases from the rectifier makes more power then all three connected.  Does that mean anything?

oztules:
Yes... it means that you have a poor matching of the load to your blades.... ie the tsr of the blades is too high for the stiffness of your alternator.

You can either

1. use a higher voltage battery bank, and that will change the behavior,

2. carve different blades.

3. leave two phases off so that it can run at a faster speed as you have found,

4. Put in three transformers to step down the voltage to the batteries. ( or a three phase transformer )

5. Use a buck converter to step the voltage down.

6. Place some resistance in the DC line to allow the blades to run up faster. You lose power in the resistor, but the blades will run faster and should compensate with more power over all.

7. Throw it away and buy more solar :)

..............oztules

TurboMiles:
Thanks for all the options

niall:
55 foot tower ...thats impressive ..a long way up,,,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version