Author Topic: Tracker Controller  (Read 9555 times)

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
Re: Tracker Controller
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 04:55:25 pm »
Ages ago I saw a hydraulic PV tracker setup that didn't need ANY brains to operate,

I've seen several, but from all my reading, these totally passive devices seem "twitchy" at best. Often lethargic and slow, frequently confused by even a light breeze... but to each their own!

Offline madlabs

• Chief Bottle Washer
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 05:00:39 pm »
I helped a friend put together a single axis tracker. We didn't want to mess with sun tracking either. We used and old Motorola Oncore GPS for the time and date. Accelerometer for panel angle. If I was to do again I'd probably use a DS3231 for the time, I just used one of those and was happy with it. Might have to correct the time occasionally, that was nice about the GPS, always on time.

Jonathan
Some people are like a Slinky - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

Offline ghurd

• Global Moderator
    • GHurd Solar
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 07:37:21 pm »

I will be using a hydraulic scheme.

G'day Watt.
                  Ages ago I saw a hydraulic PV tracker setup that didn't need ANY brains to operate, the guy simply put a tube by the panels and when the sun heated that said pipe the oil heated and expanded and thus moving the cylinder causing the tracker to move. As far as parking goes at night the oil cools down and the unit automatically parks.

Simple design but one can see many slabs of beer to get one going......

Cheers Bryan

They are not exactly great.
At least one major retailer in the US stopped selling them, and refused to accept returns purchased from ther retailers.
(who accepts returns of items from other retailers?)

Here, the temp has almost nothing to do with where the sun is, ever.
I am just saying a temp based system wouldn't work in this area.

Co/Amanda had the right idea, if/when combined with a slow tracker or time delay.
I have my own related circuits/sketches somewhere, if I can find them.
Simple stuff.
G-

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2012, 08:08:53 pm »
Been a while between posts. This project hasn't died. The first couple have shipped, and waiting on delivery to their owners.
Have had a few additonal features that have gone in, which includes manual east/west, improved code for parking that will enable it to UNPARK and resume tracking after a specified time, an alarm to warn you to move your fingers before it moves (can also be used to operate the hydraulic pump for hydraulic systems, or to release the brake, or enable power etc) - for a variable time before any movement is made.

Offline Watt

• Over qualified in the inexperience department!
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 08:16:56 pm »
Ross has added another feature to this tracker for us.  That is a " Wash " mode. This will be handy for folks like me who only get rain a few times a year. 
CEO of this Dis-Organization....