Author Topic: Solar News  (Read 23462 times)

Offline MadScientist267

• Impossible Condition Curator
  • Rules? What rules?
Re: Solar News
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 09:30:15 pm »
 Yeah that's a cool concept... Between that and windows that comprise panels, entire structures will become power production facilities...

The key then that would seal the deal would be if they WERE in fact efficient enough to power the contents that they house ;)

Bet big bro oil would love that haha

Steve
Wanted: Schrödinger's cat, dead and alive.

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 01:04:22 am »
I still can't get excited about this technology. It is now over a decade old, and not a single useful solar generating product has emerged.

The problem is collecting these errant electrons that have been bashed out of their orbits.. Unless we can get graphene or similar to work sensibly, I don't know of any other clear conductors to carry away the negative pole.... and it would be all current, and very low voltage.

Don't hold your breath on this one.

.........................oztules
Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 01:23:21 am »
maybe some sort of thin matt of conductors that stick on first and a thick paint that goes over it ?
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2013, 03:26:34 am »
Well that may take care of the positive side (back side) what about the front surface where the action takes place. Collecting these I think is what has made this technology fall in  a hole..... unless someone knows how do they intend to do it....

With the silicon ones they spray a conductive ink in fine lines to collect the electrons, but how do they intend to harvest it from the paint front.

Don't look too simple from where i sit.

Conductive paint for the back side would work.... but the front needs some other clear conductive paint?

Then there is the problem of seriesing (if there is such a word) the "cells" to get up to some decent voltage..... looks tough to me.

Someone will work it out, but i don't see it as simple.

.............oztules

Offline MadScientist267

• Rules? What rules?
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2013, 03:38:01 am »
 Cutting it up into cells would be tricky for sure, and interconnecting them, but for the negative electrode, what about the materials used in LCD? Or is that just a really thin metallic film that can only carry trivial amounts of current?

Steve

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2013, 03:59:47 am »
well with 3d printing maturing quick, there is a chance that we will be buying the "inks" and printing our own.
Would easily be able to overcome these obstacles with that tech.

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2013, 04:13:43 am »
With normal panels at such low prices (bought 4kw of UL CEC listed panels this morning for $3222 dollars .....$179 dollars for 230 watt panels), it seems an expensive thing to try and 3D print a wall....

With silicon tech so cheap, the paint idea may end up much dearer and die on the vine...... maybe  except for Govt funded buildings.... they seem to just print money when needed now days to prove some environmental/ whatever  point.

............oztules

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2013, 03:49:29 pm »
Wow, trying to power a city Oz ?  ;D

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2013, 04:20:00 pm »
Not really wolv,
It is a  bit droughty here at the moment, and a few folks want solar pumps to move water from some dams that they never used to dams that they have near emptied.

I build them the solar controllers  ( free) and help them get DC pumps etc. Latest controller drives BIG pumps >2hp.... hence some reasonable panel for all weather pumping.

Been very dry here for a while, and water is getting a bit harder to get hold of when stock can drink 30-50 000 litres/day on some properties here. It gets serious very quickly when dams dry up.

I happened to be browsing on Ebay and saw the panels http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221165036622?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
They were perfect for what  was needed so I bought a few for the other folks that need them. 30vmp and high current.... good for motors doing heavy work.

Look further down the listing and you find 190w panels (normal 37vmp types) for $165... that single units.... all ceritfied....or by the container, only 50 cent/watt plus 10% GST..... they must be buying them for 40c.... getting darn near free.. very hard to compete with.

..................oztules

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage
World Solar Challange car race in Australia
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2013, 02:29:19 pm »
World Solar Challange, a solar car race in Australia, October 6-13 2013
In friendly competition with others attempting the same goals, the teams depart Darwin aiming to be the first to arrive in Adelaide, some 3000km to the south.

It's all about energy management! Based on the original notion that a 1000W car would complete the journey in 50 hours, solar cars are allowed a nominal 5kW hours of stored energy, which is 10% of that theoretical figure. All other energy must come from the sun or be recovered from the kinetic energy of the vehicle.

http://www.worldsolarchallenge.org/about_wsc_2013/overview

----- W o o f e r h o u n d -----
My Renewable Energy Projects

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2013, 12:06:39 am »
German and French researchers said Thursday that they have achieved a new world record on converting sunlight to energy through a photovoltaic, or solar cell.

The solar cell was able to collect energy at a 44.7% rate of efficiency, which was measured at a concentration of 297 suns.

The solar cells are made out of several cells using different "III-V" semiconductor materials that are stacked on top of each other. The single sub cells absorb different wavelength ranges of the solar spectrum.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9242723/New_solar_cell_sets_world_record_focusing_the_power_of_297_suns

Offline ranatology

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2015, 04:07:01 am »
The sun that station within the sky bathes Earth in ample energy to satisfy all the world’s power desires again and again over. It does not provide off dioxide emissions. It will not run out. And it’s free.
to know more read this article

[MOD EDIT - Link removed. Please, no external links by new users. See the rules for more information.]
User is currently banned
This user was given more than ample warnings about rule infringements.
His posts had little content with most posts having none.
The one that does certainly does not warrant exceptions.

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage
The World’s First Solar Road Is Producing More Energy Than Expected
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2015, 07:11:38 pm »
The World’s First Solar Road Is Producing More Energy Than Expected

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2015/05/11/3657220/solaroad-producing-energy/

The 230-foot stretch of road, which is embedded with solar cells that are protected by two layers of safety glass, is built for bike traffic, a use that reflects the road’s environmentally-friendly message and the cycling-heavy culture of the Netherlands. However, the road could withstand heavier traffic if needed, according to one of the project’s developers.

Offline bj

• Lamont, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2015, 06:54:00 am »
Hey Woof-----------nice success story.  Thanks for the share
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj

Offline MadScientist267

• Rules? What rules?
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2015, 04:27:38 am »