Author Topic: Generator change over switch  (Read 2801 times)

Offline noneyabussiness

• I think it works....
Generator change over switch
« on: August 15, 2019, 02:46:23 am »
Ok... what are the official regs , is it both neutral and Active, after men earthing,  or is it only active and leave neutral alone...

I really wish the regs were made available freely, its stupid it costs 250 odd bucks...

In Australia....

Offline David HK

• No Personal Text Set by User
Re: Generator change over switch
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 03:24:51 am »
Never seen this before.

What is "after men earthing"?

Dave

Offline noneyabussiness

• I think it works....
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 04:30:02 am »
Is this a better way of asking... is this diagram correct by AS/NZ 3000 standards. .

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 02:25:46 am »
Hello Noneya, 
My memory of the diagrams that one looks right. Unfortunately each supply authority has their own service rules.
I am pretty sure that our local supply authority in Tasmania who are Aurora Energy had a diagram in the back of their service rules that showed something very similar to what your diagram shows. Unfortunately I don't have a copy of those rules anymore.
It definitely had a double pole interlocked switch, switching both the neutral and active. The reason for switching the neutral is that as the system is supplied by a cord and plug arrangement from the generator the polarity is not guaranteed. As in the case of Caravans etc anything supplied by a plug and socket arrangement must have double pole switching.
So in Caravans all switches and Power outlets ( GPOs) are double pole.
As the switch for the generator change over is on the main switchboard the supply authority will notice its existence and as such it must be installed by a qualified contractor in Australia.
Pete

Offline noneyabussiness

• I think it works....
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 05:06:23 pm »
Thank you,  I understand it " must " be installed by a licensed electrician, I can't understand why the rules are such a big secret.  I know there are a lot of idiots out there and i may actually be one, however knowing that may actually make some less idiotic.

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 05:39:03 pm »
Hi again Noneya. I had a friend who wanted to fit a generator changeover switch to his house. He tried to buy a switch from the local wholesalers. They claimed ignorance and then came up with a switch that was going to cost $500 plus.
He was going to get a mate who was a  to fit it. In the end I just suggested that he run the water pumps etc in a blackout with a lead and power board.
I never had the occasion where a client wanted one fitted so never did that. Also I have lived on stand alone power myself for 40 odd years so have a simple system that does not require all that rigmarole.
I believe that the rules being kept secret are so that the industry insiders get to make money. Of course there are always people who believe in their own skills and thinking too much and would create dangerous situations if they did the work themselves. Unfortunately many of them do anyway. I have come across plenty of dodgy wiring during my time as a contractor. Fortunately now I am retired.
Pete

Offline ClockmanFrance

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 06:13:03 am »
Each Country has its own particular codes.

I use rotary change over switches with a centre position as OFF. So we break to a positive OFF then we make.

All my switches are 2 pole minimum as the neutral and the positive are switched.

Earthing is difficult as each country uses differing techniques. Here in France we still use a 1.5m copper rod banged in the ground at each Consumer/RCD distribution enclosure unit.

I have many buildings here with each having there own consumer units so each is earthed independently and each has its own changeover switch.

1.  photo show a installed Kraus & Naimer 90 amp 240vac change over switch.

2. Rotary Switch Change over connections.

3. Assorted Kraus & Naimer change over switches. The DIN RAIL MOUNTED one is 8inches/200mm long 8 pole, but you need to be Tarzan to turn that smallish rotary switch.   (these are all second hand/used, but well tested and inspected.)
 China makes change over switches, look at ebay,  but please watch the quality.

Offline noneyabussiness

• I think it works....
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 02:19:34 pm »
Thank you both for your replies..

Offline philb1

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 06:04:14 pm »
Midnite Solar makes 30 and 60 amp transfer switches. Street price is about $130. I've been using one for switching from grid to solar power over 5 years. It's 2 breaker facing up and two facing down with a slide to switch. I get seamless switching without disrupting satellite signal.
It looks like you will have to google the url as this site thinks it's spam and won't let me post it.