Product Information > Product Reviews

Portable AC's

(1/4) > >>

Norm:
What is the problem with these portable air conditioners....the kind that sits in the
room and has a duct like a clothes dryer to exhaust the warm air.....the first one my
daughter got worked okay for a year or two and now it won't turn on.....
Okay so much for that just get a new one....same type different make and model from
Kmart.....Problem : smelled hot after running one night....seemed to be a yellow stain
along one side on the inside of the cabinet.....hot wires ?.....so much for that one
took it back....ordered one from QVC got it hooked up made sure it didn't get laid on its
side (leave sitting upright for 4 hrs. before running) turned it on and from the start a slight
amount of smoke called service and woman said that was normal....so daughter turns it on
again until the smoke got so bad in the room that her and her two kids started chocking
.....so turned it off and called service and woman agreed that wasn't normal .....so
okay UPS will pick it up and return it....that fine but in the meantime my daughter is all
hot from hooking it up and now has to box it back up 50 yrs. old and a single parent  I
mean .....what kind of trash are they making nowadays? Things shouldn't be that way
why should an air conditioner be any different than our new refrigerator that we got a couple
of months ago....they plugged that in and it started getting cold right then and there....
no smoking or hot smell .......

somethings nowadays just plain t me off !

thanks for listening guys....95 degrees today and hot and muggy tired....
Norm

tomw:
Norm;

I bought an ~$80 Fedders window unit from wally world maybe 5 years ago. Works treat and can take my office down to meat locker temps even on the hottest days. Stay away from QVC, I don't know of one satisfied customer of theirs!

Why not get a real window AC? Some places don't have the right windows I guess?

In the house, due to odd crank out windows we put in a Friedrich split system and it only needs a hole for the tubes and wires. Also works treat but was a bit pricey compared to my cheapie in the office.

I just can't see those "middle of the room" units being very effective with all the hot parts inside despite the vent tube?

Just from here.

BTW your package is on the way. Finally.

Tom

Wolvenar:
My friend Jane picked up one of these "portable" room air conditioners about 3 years ago, and it has worked well since it was put in.

rossw:
It amazes me that nobody has started making a commercial unit with a WATER cooled condenser.
It would be far smaller, and far more efficient.
It would also allow connection by no more than a small water hose to a tap, and a small water hose to the drain.
FAR smaller than the hulking big air conduit. And water will transfer heat FAR better than air, so it'd be more efficient.
Lets say you have a 2HP aircon. Thats about 1500 watts of electrical input.
Lets say it's quite efficient and you now have say 4000 watts of HEAT to get rid of. (It's a heat-pump, remember)
A flow of one litre per minute (4 cups of water per minute) would heat up 57 degrees C.
Over here, water is about $1.50 per thousand litres. That's about 9c/hr for water, or around 20% of the cost of the electricity. And you wouldn't need a window and could put it nearly anywhere. (If you collected the water and let it cool, you could use it on the garden, or recycle it into the aircon later!)

ksouers:
Norm,
My wife got one of those type from Tuesday Morning a few years ago. Made in Germany, has been working very well even with temps up to 108 here. I think she paid less than $300 USD for it.

I have a Fridgidaire window unit in my office I got from Lowe's last year when our central air unit went out, $100 USD. Still going strong, though I think this one is made in China.
The new central unit is still not big enough for the whole house thanks to a couple of additions, the small units work great to cool the parts of the house the central unit can't.

Yes, there still are some quality products out there and at reasonable prices.

Kevin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version