Product Information > Product Reviews

Looking for a good, low power HD TV...

<< < (2/5) > >>

ksouers:
Tom,
I have a Sony Bravia 46 inch LCD, The picture quality is great but it's a bit of a power hog at 275 watts. 4 HDMI inputs plus 2 composite and 3 component and 1 S-video inputs. Also 1 digital audio (optical) output and 1 analog stereo out. I've had it 3 years and it's been working great. It was a little spendy at the time at ~$2000 USD. The prices have come done a bit since then.

If you want to go a bit smaller I picked up a Samsung 20 inch LCD last year that's pretty basic, don't remember the price. Power is 45 watts. Picture is OK but not fast, it'll pixelate at times.

If you want to shop around and compare features try newegg.com, they list features and power consumption in the descriptions and have buyer review.

Kevin

Volvo farmer:
We got one of these back a couple years ago. 40" Sony rated at 140W maximum.  It does some weird things occasionally, like the screen gets very dark if there are white credits on a black background. Also, until it warms up, something about it interferes with the dish network IR remote. Generally, it's been a good TV though.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=KDL40VE5#specifications

RichHagen:
If the AC amps on my meter is accurate, which is debatable, my Haier 32 inch draws just a bit over  200 Kg*m^2/s^3, or 200 Watts if you prefer. It is slower than current models in response to menu requests and channel changes and such, but it is an early model.  I have a Vizio brand 22 inch LCD TV which will run off of 12V I will have to put the meter on, it is relatively new.  It's response time to menu requests is much better.   

On an irrelevant side note, currently in Chicago I have determined it is partly cloudy as my solar amps just went from 46 to 13.

dang:
32" Sony BRAVIA L Series LCD TV (31.5" Diagonal)
720p Resolution Panel (1366 x 768)
August 2008 Manufactured.
On paper spec: 165W active & 1W stand-by.
Real spec: 63 watts & 62 volt-ampres reactive apparent power.

We bought this on price alone, did not 'watch' it first.
The tinny sound made us ANGRY from day one.

Last month we spent money equal to the purchase prince on a home theater 5.1 system.
Now watching a movie often feels like being a kid  :o again with BIG sound.

Spend time in front of prospective sets - listen to local talk broadcasting if possible, play an OLD music CD (2-channel audio) etc... the DVD movie demos sound tracts are so manicured most can make anything sound acceptable.

We were looking into the Quatro four color (RGBY) sets but they've been tweaking the media to handle RGB for so long the extra yellow color has little application since they try not to use it in the source signals.

After watching 32" for so long a 42" would seem huge.

Let us know what the final candidates you're considering!
Maybe one of the $4,000 72" edge-lit 1080p teevees would heat the first floor in the winter?

Watt:

--- Quote from: rossw on April 21, 2012, 03:59:01 am ---
--- Quote from: Watt on April 21, 2012, 02:41:09 am ---which uses right around 275 watts per hour. 

which use just over 200 watts per hour.

--- End quote ---

Please, watt.... consider your terms!

They use 275 watts and 200 watts.

Or, they use 275 watt/hours per hour and 200 watt/hours per hour.

"Watts per hour" is a nonsense term. Watts are instantaneous.

--- End quote ---

You are right again Ross.  Thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version