Product Information > Product Reviews

Looking for a good, low power HD TV...

(1/5) > >>

tomw:
Ok, we have finally decided to bite the bullet and get a big HD tv.

We want a decent unit with low power consumption, long life and for $5  :o

Any reviews appreciated.

Tom

rossw:

--- Quote from: tomw on April 20, 2012, 10:35:24 pm ---We want a decent unit with low power consumption, long life and for $5  :o

--- End quote ---

Low power, long life, $5.   Pick two :)

Seriously however: how big is "big" to you?
Kathy and I went through this recently when they turned off all the analog TV in our area. Sure, we could go the STB option, but thats more power, more messing about, more remotes and we'd still have the old 4:3 aspect ratio of our old LCD TVs.

Looked at a bunch of them, ended up with a Teac - not because it was better, but because it was the only one they had in that particular size, that also would record to a USB device, and play back from it, and had a built-in DVD player.

After looking at about 6 different brands, I'm 99% sure they all have the same (probably 3rd-party) firmware that runs the "digital" part, because their menus, typeface and clunkyness was identical across the brands!

Most of them now seem to include PVR functionality, although it's more "tacked on" than "built in". None of them are what I would call "wife friendly".

If budget is a criteria, then dual-tuners will probably not be an option - so you can't record one channel and watch another. EPG is basic and clunky. None of them are "instant on" like the old analog TVs. As long as you have good to excellent signal strength, you should get outstanding audio and video quality. But other than that, I've very little good to say about any of these units from any manufacturer at any of the prices I'm prepared to pay.

Wolvenar:
My friend Jane has an LG 3D lcd and loves it..
LG seems to have the market cornered to economy/life vs features, but as with all LCD.. each one is a lottery for how well they stand up to time.
The picture to me is almost to good.
Even in 2d the movement and the ultra crispness and just the presence of people seems almost unnatural.

But economy is relative.. prepare to put a switchable power strip on anything you buy today, even their standby power can suck the juice.. No LCD I have can top my rear projection 52 inch when it comes to conserving power, any of the 3 32 inch or the 42 inch LCD we have take more power.
Yeah and don't even THINK about plasma,
unless you have a starship class matter/antimatter warp engine to power it.

One LCD we have is a Westinghouse that is 5 or so years old now..
It's held up well but its not that great of an HD tv..  On the other hand I know of a couple people that had the same model set, and it was trash in just over the warranty, but they are chain smokers and anything you touch in their house you stick to.

I don't know any particular brand or model that holds up long term, seems CRT had that all figured out, and just as everyone expected a tv to last decades, it gets changed.

I can say from all experiences.. steer clear of Polaroid LCD tvs..I have seen MANY people with them and all sets are now gone. I also see more of these things in the dump every time we go to drop off trash.

I have repaired a Polaroid I got from one guy dropping it off as trash, and can tell you they cut every corner they possibly can, though it is a decent ( better than the Westinghouse) picture.

Watt:
I'm not sure what power you are looking for but, we have a 52" Samsung LED/LCD HDTV 3d which uses right around 275 watts per hour.  The kids have 32" Samsung models which use just over 200 watts per hour.  Just curious what power range and size you prefer.

rossw:

--- Quote from: Watt on April 21, 2012, 02:41:09 am ---which uses right around 275 watts per hour. 

which use just over 200 watts per hour.

--- End quote ---

Please, watt.... consider your terms!

They use 275 watts and 200 watts.

Or, they use 275 watt/hours per hour and 200 watt/hours per hour.

"Watts per hour" is a nonsense term. Watts are instantaneous.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version