Author Topic: Solar News  (Read 23390 times)

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage
Re: Solar News
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2021, 07:39:15 am »
Researchers at ETH Zurich and Empa have chemically modified wood and made it more compressible, turning it into a mini-?generator. When compressed, it generates an electrical voltage. Such wood could serve as a biosensor or as a building material that harvests energy.

https://electrek.co/2021/03/15/these-researchers-in-switzerland-can-get-electricity-from-wood/
----- W o o f e r h o u n d -----
My Renewable Energy Projects

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage
Rectenna Harvests Electromagnetic Energy From 5G Signals
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2021, 08:46:27 am »
In a world-first, a team of researchers at the Georgia Institute of Technology has developed a small, 3D-printed rectifying antenna that can harvest electromagnetic energy from 5G signals and use it to power devices, in a way turning 5G networks into "a wireless power grid," according to a press release by the university.

https://interestingengineering.com/rectenna-harvests-electromagnetic-energy-from-5g-signals

Offline lighthunter

« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2021, 06:27:08 pm »
the whole 5G thing is kinda scary, think about it, 4G already
does everything needed and i dont think its consumer
demand driving the 5G plans. So who is shoveling the
money into this and why?  Wireless power cannot help but
disrupt ecology. Are we so clueless as to not realize there
are things like red blood cells that contain iron which is responsive to magnetic fields? Not to mention plenty of other
Natural processes that are sensitive to emf.
Health Warning: May contain traces of nut!
LH

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2021, 11:42:13 pm »
I don't think that any of the so called upgrades of mobile phone networks are customer driven.
Many years ago I had an analog Motorola brick phone. It picked up signal and worked at my home which was 45 kilometres out of town.
Then along came CDMA which was supposed to be a big improvement, well my range dropped to about 25 kilometres from a tower.
Then Digital same range fell off massively again.
Then 3g, 4G range is down again
Now 5G well where I live it is totally academic, we do not have anywhere near enough people for the providers to bother with a tower near us so it is 4 g and that is it.
Seems to me that as more and more people get addicted to their phones the phone providers will keep the updates coming to sell them more phones and more products. The internet already struggles with all the people watching TV programs and Streaming. Basically when the internet falls over the world will stop. Oh what a lovely day that will be.
Pete

Offline bj

• Lamont, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2021, 03:45:09 am »
    Interesting read Woof,  and thanks for that.
    I don't think I buy into it,  but thanks for the share.
   bj
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2021, 04:12:56 pm »
I can't see how it could work really. If too many people used the 5G network to run their devices then the network would be overloaded and crash.
Then there is the legal issues. Would it be classified as stealing power.
Many years ago I read of people putting large coils under high voltage powerlines to act as a transformer and steal power.
They were fined. Not sure now how much power they managed to get from their air cored transformers but they got fined and had to pull their coils apart. I think the same would happen with any attempt to get power from a phone network.
Pete

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2021, 09:22:09 am »
On one side, large electric utilities and President Biden want to build thousands of miles of power lines to move electricity created by distant wind turbines and solar farms to cities and suburbs.
On the other, some environmental organizations and community groups are pushing for greater investment in rooftop solar panels, batteries and local wind turbines.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/11/business/energy-environment/biden-climate-transmission-lines.html

Offline lighthunter

« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2021, 05:42:04 pm »
I didnt read article yet but rooftop solar makes much more sense, after all, its nearly free realestate and the energy is produced where its needed. With the push for electric vehicles they will need to do both and still wont have enough electricity.  "Lets plug in a million EVs and shut down more coal and nuclear plants!" some crazy thinking going on out there. Im loosing hope in intelligence of humanity.
Health Warning: May contain traces of nut!
LH

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2021, 06:04:41 pm »
The only way I can see that Electric cars would work, is that each owner had a bunch of panels on their roof to offset the power their house and car uses.
Not sure about the US but in Australia we have an almost national power grid, so that if one power station goes down then power is still available from other states.
Where I live in Tasmania we have an interconnector cable to the mainland and are looking at putting in a couple more. As all of our power is supplied here by hydro and wind turbines we are in a good position to export power. That is of course until and event like a prolonged drought and the cable breaking down happen. As it did a few years ago. Some bright sparks in the energy industry decided to make plenty of money on selling our hydro power and did not take the possibility of a dry winter ( when it rains most here) into account. So the dams were almost dry and we could not import power as the cable broke.
So as we do with our own stand alone systems, grid systems need to have backups for their backups.
The easiest way to ensure energy sufficiency is to learn to use less power, but that does not seem to be the way that humanity is working or not working in this case.
Pete

Offline ClockmanFrance

« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2021, 01:58:15 am »
Here in Europe, there are companies that can supply used and cheapo PV panels by the Container load.

http://www.emat-de.com/home/clearance

Excellent if you want your own charging station.

I now go for the 20% rule, ie Winter use when there is no sunshine.

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2021, 05:59:32 pm »
Hi Clockman, I am guessing that the 20% rule means you have 20% more panels than you think you need, is that how your rule works.
We get a lot of cloudy, foggy and rainy days where I live, so we try to put the power back in fast when there is sunshine.
Still with 4kw of panels, I am yet to see more than 2.5kw going in to the batteries.
That may be because I have 2 kw of panels facing North and 2kw facing North West. We obviously live in the Southern hemisphere.
Once the batteries are charged then I use power for pumping water, and splitting wood or welding etc.
Cheers
Pete

Offline ClockmanFrance

« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2021, 03:45:38 am »
Hi Pete,

The fact that PV panels are so cheap against any other renewable energy generating system is the first KEY.

15 years ago i was maximising the PV output with 3kw trackers, nowadays i advise "just stick another 1/3rd more panels up on a static array, as there are no moving parts with a static array".

I have found over the years that my 20% rule seems to work well, especially in the last 8 years as Monocrystalline have become more efficient in ambient light conditions.    I am aiming for a total of 30kW of PV, this then gives me an average of about 6kW in ambient light.   

At present, Except for 6kW on my old PV trackers that DC charge, i have 12kW of PV that uses old /used GTI's, running on my OzInverter created MINI GRID, as these Old/used GTI's have good MPPT so they give every last drop of PV power. And being second hand/used are scrap prices, so very cost effective.

NOTE, I recommend not to use more than 2.5kW GTI's as any bigger GTI's and they spend there time clicking in and out.

So my present 18kW system is incredibly simple, very robust, and very very cost effective.

The problem is for most folk is getting there head around the OzInverter AC and DC coupling concept. But I am putting another publication together that will fully explain with lost of photos etc.

Some preliminary Info.....  http://www.bryanhorology.com/off-grid-and-your-own-mini-grid.php

The below is a history and another publication about our 20 year Project here in rural Normandy, in France.

Sustainability,
20 years of the ‘LE VIVRAY’ Project, Normandy, France.

This book is written for my 3 boys and family and good friends, it is Not an academic paper, it is a true Empirical evidence practical publication.
However, things have really changed in the last few years, and many people are constantly asking us many questions about our activities here. So, this book will join other ‘How to make’ books that are published here by Bryan Microengineering.

We are at present a ‘Independent non-commercial Sustainability & Renewable Energy Project’, and been doing the research and development for over 20 years now.   And NO, we do not just throw money at this stuff, and if necessary, we will re-invent the wheel if it works out more cost effective.   Our Mantra ..... Keep it Simple, Make it Robust, and keep it Cost Effective.

Over the past 20 years we have seen many changes in the issues surrounding our planets health and its Future.
 When we started here at ‘Le Vivray’ in 2002, we knew we had the opportunity to start from a clean plate, as the land and old buildings, local red brick and oak framed barns were basic constructions, and in the past 50 years had only received limited emergency maintenance. Therefore, we had the opportunity to design and implement sustainability strategies at the project’s creation.

We wanted to live and walk lightly on this planet and we could use our skills to help others in the future. We were older parents of a young family, however being a slightly older dad, I was fortunate to know many good friends that were, farmers, engineers, builders, surveyors, architects, electricians, master masons, true bricklayers, master joiners and many more professions and good friends who have offered their free help and advice over the years. And yes, most of them thought that we were ‘mad as hatters’ taking on such a large and complicated project.

CHAPTERS.                 A1.     Short Introduction.  Saving the Planet on a budget.
1.     Explain Sustainability in a practical context at ‘Le Vivray’.  Why, How, and the Future.
2.     Planning and cost effectiveness resolution.
3.     Development, Testing, cost effective and minimum environmental impact. Capital Costs   kept minimum; work done by our own team. ROI, Return On Investment
4.     Reliability and effectiveness of commercial products, and sourcing locally.
5.     Regulations and conforming to Country codes and Safety.
6.    Skills required.
7.     Insulation of old buildings to Passive House standards, what and how.
8.     Garden and food growing
9.     Our own FR approved Sewage system.
10.     Grey water system and re=use, Reed beds, holding fish pond,  etc.
11.     Heating & Energy Creation and self-consumption, using second hand etc.
12.     What’s required for a normal Domestic House/Dwelling.
13.     2kW Solar PV Trackers.
14.     Solar PV differing types mounting installations.
15.     AC coupling with used Grid Tied PV Inverters.
16.     Wind Turbines.
17.     OzInverter. Creating your own 240vac 50HZ Mini Grid.
18.     PLANTE Battery, and notes on batteries technology.
19.      Other interlinked projects, Transportation, ECO salt swimming pool.
20.      Acknowledgements.
21.      Tables and graphs for size and volumes etc.
22.      Further research links and other useful contacts.
    Bryan Microengineering , July 2021

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2021, 06:07:15 pm »
Thankyou Bryan for your reply. I will read the article on Mini Grids, and see how it works.
I am not sure that I can work a mini grid as to comply with Australian Standards here I have connected my panels to output less than 120 volts DC.
This way I do not need to reapply for my electricians licence ( retired now) to work on low voltage. My 90 volt setup keeps me in the Extra Low Voltage range where I do not need a licence to work on it. Also the regulators I have at the moment are only 100 volt max so wiring panels up for enough voltage to run a GTI is not feasible at the moment.
Your setup looks great from what I have read ,
Thanks
Pete

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #88 on: September 01, 2021, 12:53:58 am »
Pete the thing about 5g is that it's working on the same frequencies that we have been using for a very very long time.
The most distinctive thing about 5g, at least in the USA is they are using lower power transmitters with many more radios, and many more towers / points of cellular access. This VASTLY improves the load capacity of the cellular network. This greatly improves the speed, because the amount of devices on each access point is far reduced and allows each to have a larger share.

There are many other under the hood changes, but those are the most significant to any idea of exposure.
Each tower/cellular access point is lower power than previous technology using far less power on some bands than the previous uses of many of each.

Our older tech cell phones, the analog in particular put out a LOT more RF radiation. 4-5 watts vs milliwatts.
As far as 5g being used to spy on people. Yeah it's entirely possible.
But if your that worried about surveillance I sure hope you have not been in a big box store in the last decade.

There may definitely be worries about how 5g is used but it's like any tech, it can be used in good ways, or bad way.
 But the technology is not inherently dangerous because of radiation or anything like that.
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
« Reply #89 on: September 01, 2021, 01:50:17 am »
Hi Wolv, I think the same applies to 5G here too, we live to far away from a town for us to get any 5G anyway. Sometimes 4 G gets picked up. I am not worried about surveillance, we have check in apps here for covid, so the government know where we are anyway.
The main thing that bothers me is all the mindless phone users that we have to continuously dodge on the footpath and on the roads.
I figure it is natural selection in action, the more mindless people become and the more absorbed in their technology the more of them are headed for an early demise. Be it by walking into traffic or lamp posts.
I get the bit about low power being better for our bodies, it just seems a bit crazy to call it an upgrade. When you have to live in a city for it to work. I lived for many years without a phone or internet. So I guess it won't be too hard when they drop 3G and 4G from the service. A hermits life is pretty good really
Cheers
Pete