Author Topic: Oops  (Read 4894 times)

Offline MadScientist267

• Impossible Condition Curator
  • Rules? What rules?
Oops
« on: January 17, 2014, 06:08:45 pm »
Ok, I know the wiring is a little thin, it never got any kind of upgrade, was pretty much the first of the 120V to go in, and was not really installed with the idea that 1.2kW would potentially continuously flow through it, but that's about what ended up happening, and after about a month of abuse, the neutral connection finally began developing a resistance, and here's the result. My funk detector picked up on this one, and so there was some heat down time and select english earlier today. Could have been worse, could have been 30F out and raining. It wasn't.

On the plus side, I patched things back together,  using nothing more than what I had on hand within the van. So I did *something* right at least, it was a good test for on-the-fly damage control preparedness.  The down side, part of the grid handling wiring has been bypassed in the interest of getting the heat back on before too much more time passed. The result is the changeover box is "stuck" in battery mode and so will only operate half of the heater cores in the electric system. I'll take 450W over 0 however, as tomorrow night is forecast for 21F, on the fringe of what the propane alone can handle and keep things reasonably comfortable inside (even tho it wouldn't have been all that big of a deal, but with electric available, running on propane alone would be senseless at this point).

2822-0

2824-1

Have fun with it, I know you will  ;D

Steve
Wanted: Schrödinger's cat, dead and alive.