Author Topic: Web cam help needed  (Read 2203 times)

Offline Dale S

• My smoke got out again
Web cam help needed
« on: March 21, 2012, 07:52:30 pm »
How does a wireless web cam work? Do they need to be tied to a computer somewhere or just a wireless router? Say I want to keep an eye on something and I want to do it from my smart phone with a web cam, how the heck do I do that? And keep it simple, I'm a 52 year old tin knocker not an IT guru. :)
I aint skeerd of nuthin....WTF was that?

Offline Rover

Re: Web cam help needed
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 08:05:42 pm »
Hi

Honestly it depends on the type of wireless the cam is.

If its IP wireless  / network wireless / 802.11b/g  (you need to research those) ... then it will connnect directly to a  wireless network , either when given an IP address or when you set up the unit and give it one.

The other type, and almost as common will rely on a proprietary communication to a base station (comes normally with the unit) will output typically an analog signal that can feed directly into a TV. (for inputing to a PC or computer will usually require an additional card).

I know this can be confusing...

Rover

Rover

(Where did I bury that microcontroller?)

Offline Rover

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 08:09:11 pm »
Nurts,

I just re read your post about the smart phone. If it has a camera... then typically you just need to find the approprite software to use it for video confererencing.

You will need to provide more info on the phone.

Probably gave you too much info in the prior post.

Rover
Rover

(Where did I bury that microcontroller?)

Offline philb

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 08:52:29 pm »
Dale,
If you look on ebay, you can find cameras that use a H 264 DVR that can be tied to about anything including smart phones. There's thousands of choices.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200617202659?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110760799569?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Maybe that will get you in the neighborhood.