Author Topic: testing the egs002 inverter board  (Read 147604 times)

Offline lighthunter

Re: testing the egs002 inverter board
« Reply #120 on: April 02, 2016, 09:30:36 am »
Oztules,

i cant figure out what "0r" is supposed to be in your BOM. Is it a 0 ohm resistor.
.... fuse?
Maybe someone else asked and i missed it but im just drawing a blank.
Thanks!

LH
Health Warning: May contain traces of nut!
LH

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #121 on: April 02, 2016, 12:22:38 pm »
yes to stay with PJ plug, a lot of cross over occurs.... so on a single sided board, you need jumpers.... my fingers find the 0r resistors easier than bending wire into holes, but there are a few where i did do that.... only to accommodate the big plug receiver over the top of the jumpers.

Check picture of board with pcb.... those resistors have a single black bar.

........oztules
Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline RFburns

« Reply #122 on: April 02, 2016, 04:44:40 pm »
Antman - I agree with Oztules have a look at the gate drive resistor value.  I am suprised this can not do more than 100w (would of thought more like 1-1.5Kw peak pretty easy) Other wise a very neat looking unit . The 240v domestic supply looks like its almost flat topping?

Geez Oztules the way you are churning these things out you must be knee deep in them :) .The new board looks nice; but it looks like the overlay is missing a bit off the left side. RF
Get With It ,Get Over It , Get On With It ...Or Leave

Cheap and reliable wont be fast.
Cheap and fast wont be reliable.
Reliable and fast wont be cheap.

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #123 on: April 02, 2016, 08:03:53 pm »
Yes RF, there are half a dozen or more of perfectly good boards stacked on the bench now, but this one looks like I may stick with it.
I used the whole kinsten board 114 x 165mm as it covers the entire PJ fet board.

The effect of this makes the slow revving fan do an even better job, as it only turns slowly, but at 2.4kw for the last hour or so, the ambient temp of the incoming air is  is 24.1c, and the heat sink temp is barely 2 -3C above that... must be very efficient.

Still pinch myself to believe this is all real... works way too well for such a simple thing... better than commercial stuff in the start up stakes, and every bit as good for everything else.... better than the selectronic on some loads.

Todays pics of the new board in operation running the house.
Incoming air is 24.1c... heat sink  is only 26-27

5432-0

Been running between 2-3.5kw all morning... washing machine , hot water etc.

5436-1

The kinsten 114165 fits nicely, helps air flow of the fins and the tip35's

5434-2

I have more inverters now than I can poke a stick at.... and I can't even blow them up.

............oztules

ps for RF... this is not exactly the same, but the differences are not dicernable really for practical puproses using it for guidance. The pdf is the real screenfor the board shown.. basically identical.
5438-3

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #124 on: April 02, 2016, 09:51:17 pm »
Well, it's all very very boring...... it just works without fuss no matter what I do...... so decided to run an old 2kw transformer of the EI type.

No problems again.... the thing is stable as.

Here we are with the EI

5440-0

and here with it's wave@ 800 watts

5442-1

It's all very mundane really...

..........oztules

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
« Reply #125 on: April 02, 2016, 10:09:22 pm »
Well, it's all very very boring...... it just works without fuss no matter what I do...... so decided to run an old 2kw transformer of the EI type.

No problems again.... the thing is stable as.

ok, so now you've really piqued my interest - I have an old (stopped-working, believed to be the microprocessor) RAPS-5, which might be a great "rejuvination" project!

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #126 on: April 02, 2016, 10:17:30 pm »
Well that little board, a transformer, and your fet card ... and you can make it as powerful as your transformer and fets can handle... it is that simple.

That unit has  big torroid does it not..... it will have an inductor there as well somewhere.
You have a big box, there must be fet card there...only need the fets and gate resistors( and diode) nothing else.

It is so simple my head spins really.

You can easily make it as good or better than original... but with no bells and whistles.... but a nano can do all the rest anyway ( genstart etc ).

So yes worth the effort, and next time replace three chips for a few dollars and it goes again.... and again......and fets of course.

..............oztules

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #127 on: April 03, 2016, 12:46:35 am »
Well I have found an error in the board, some clutz joined all the ends of the diodes together for the current sense.... they need to be split into 2 and 2 not 4 joined together.... bet I did it trying to tidy the thing up..... only that last board I think... will change it soon.

Thats why I'm the village idiot I guess.

Haven't bothered to set it this time, as I am so confident it will drive anything... and it does, but I would like some control after 10kw or more......

...............oztules
look at this stupid mistake

Surprising how well the current control works when you cut the track between the two lots of diodes

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #128 on: April 03, 2016, 04:16:45 am »
Why the undervoltage lock out does not work.... the mystery is solved..... it is not implemented in this particular version of the 8010 chip.
Suffix ends in 1533 on my chips, the other ones were 1536.....

Peeled one off the 002 board... and placed it into mine....and who..... the undervoltage lockout works

So BEWARE 5133 suffix has no UVLO for reasons I don't understand..... fancy that...

...............oztules

Offline RFburns

« Reply #129 on: April 03, 2016, 04:42:20 am »
I think early on I mentioned this was an option from some sellers ;so it depends on which seller sends what as the default I guess  .Some sellers I see dont mention or offer Under/Over voltage protection. So something to keep in mind.  RF

A few places have these boards very cheap  :) ($7.85 free shipping) ;also if ordering these boards they are supplied default with under voltage protection but you may ask for other options depending on the seller (some do not offer this and the board is supplied with default).

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #130 on: April 03, 2016, 05:04:35 am »
You did mention it, but I wrongly assumed it was an on board thing, figured the chips to be the same... but no......

Offline RFburns

« Reply #131 on: April 03, 2016, 05:09:52 am »
Well I guess if ordering an ES002 its a board thing and if ordering a EG8010 its a chip thing :( bit sad that all sellers dont offer this piece of information as I have seen very few mention it at all. RF

Offline Antman

« Reply #132 on: April 03, 2016, 05:13:25 am »
Hey guys

I gave up playing with my older smaller board to divert my time to the designing the newer one. I can fine tune everything once I build the new board.

I decided to scrap the old design and go with through hole mosfets since I was worried about the cooling. The high power paths are thicker too which helps with current carrying capacity. The only thing I don't like about this one is you need Insulating pads for the mosfets but I suppose its not the end of the world.

Offline RFburns

« Reply #133 on: April 03, 2016, 02:14:56 pm »
Oz prehaps you could try to programme the EG8010 (tx/rx pins 4/5) per the data sheet - "EG8010 uses RS2323 serial communication port to configure inverter’s parameters such as
voltage, frequency, dead time through opticalcoupler as shown" - and turn on the undervoltage ?.

Antman the new board is looking good. RF

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #134 on: April 03, 2016, 04:54:51 pm »
No... think I'll just get new ones.....

..............oztules