Project Journals > Users Projects

Toy Turbine #3

(1/5) > >>

JeffD:
Built a 0.6 meter diameter 3 blade toy wind turbine back in January of 2010.  I used Hugh Piggott's 2005 plans and scaled the 1.2m to 0.6m.  Also used Hugh's blade calculator to verify the blade templates.

Here is a pic of it on 8 Feb 2012 after running for 2 years 24 hours a day.

Some pictures from previous years (before I finally painted the blades in October 2011):

This toy turbine is the third to be built since 2007 and is used for charging a small battery bank used for lighting in the house and running a netbook.

I used Flux's boost converter method for matching the prop to the alternator ie the boost operates up until about 6.5m/s and cuts out and the main rectifiers take over.

JeffD:
Some pictures of the blades being built:

Blades were built from a spruce 2x4 that had been behind the shed for a few years.  Used a hacksaw and chisel to do the rough shaping of the blades.  Used the chisel and a scraper for the final shaping.  Took about five hours from start to finish.  Had the three blades cut out in about an hour but took a little over an hour of final shaping for each blade.  Used Hugh's method of cutting out the blades.

JeffD:
Here is a picture of the stator:

It is wired for 3 phase star.  Each phase is made up of 8 coils and each coil has 8 turns of 22 AWG wire.  Each phase has a resistance of 0.41 ohms so resistance between two phases is 0.82 ohms.

The stator has a thickness of 1.5mm where the magnets travel.

There are two magnet plates, with each plate holding 8 magnets.  The magnets are 3/4" x 1/4" N38 NdFeB.  The air gap is 3.5mm.

Volts/RPM is 0.011.  The stator puts out about 13.5vdc (after the rectifiers and under load) when the turbine is spinning at about  1363 RPM.  This is the cutin speed of the main rectifiers when battery voltage is about 13vdc and is when the boost converter starts to cut back.  The boost converter cuts in at about 0.8vdc.  I know that last statement will raise some eyebrows and I will explain how the boost converter can achieve that in another post.

The boost and main rectifiers are composed of Schottky diodes since this is for a 12v system.

bj:
   It may not be real big, but it is a sweet machine. ;D
   Thanks for the share

bvan1941:
JeffD,
Real nice work!
big isn't always better, quality is obvious in your project. Hope you elaborate and give periodical updates. 1367 rpms-- whew!
what kind of winds do you have and is that top end rpms?
Keep posting,
Bill

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version