Project Journals > Users Projects

Neatness, VS Slob

<< < (3/4) > >>

DJ:

I think what might be helpful here is pics/ ideas/ suggestions on how to make our sheds more neat and tidy and avoid clutter.

A formula I came up with about 26 years ago when we were getting married and numbers on the guest list were blowing out of control was If we haven't seen them in the last 12 months and we won't see them in the next 12 months, they are acquaintances and not coming.
This allowed for the other half's family that made the trip from the other side of the country bi annually and kept a lid on everything else.

I should have applied this to my shed a LOT more but I did think of it the other day.  I applied it to Christmas decorations and figured anything I use less than those is something I really don't need and have to get rid of. 
When you got stuff you have had for 20 years and still cant see the day you'll use it, it has to go to the tip and I..... errr, you, have to go to the shrink!
 ;D

solarnewbee:
Hey All!

When I had the house moved I removed over 35,000 lbs of HVAC equipment brought home from system switch outs. Swore I would separate the metals after recovering refrigerant, but... refrigerant yes separation no. The cost of recovery bottles exceeded the scrap value but recycling that r-22 paid off. Geez r-22 price has gone off the charts last 2 years. Sell at $98 a lb and make $5 plus service charge. When I started in 2002 it was .25 a lb.

Had 2 yard sale in February and lightened the load quite a bit and made out quite a bit. I can dine in the shed now😝.

DJ, are you unloading hoarded words? 😂😂 just kidding, good read.

bj:
   Hiker--don't apologise.  I have always enjoyed anything you have posted.
   DJ--some things help, for example the jars for smalls, with labelling.  Got the plastic
bins for a song when the local hardware store was upgrading.   Built a parts room off
the office on the second floor for new stuff, and forced myself to price etc as I put away.
   Mostly what I need is a crystal ball so that I know what to keep/junk. ;)

DJ:

--- Quote from: bj on December 09, 2017, 06:51:00 am ---   Mostly what I need is a crystal ball so that I know what to keep/junk. ;)

--- End quote ---

yeah, That's the REAL key to it all!

I was doing some tidying up today and walked past the side of the shed where I have a lot of metal things I brought with me.  I stopped and looked and thought there is a lot here has to go. Can't see myself ever using so much of it.

OTOH, now I'm here there is a lot I threw out I could have used. One thing particularly haunts me and plays on my mind I should have kept as it was sentimental but I was trying so hard to be strong with it all.

I did load up the ute tonight, twice, and took stuff out and put it in dumpsters at the back of the shopping centre.  I'll probably do another run Monday night now I have sussed out some recycling bins I can put all this cardboard I have in.  I just know as soon as I offload it after having it close to a couple of months I'll want it but there is no winning in this I'm discovering.

DJ:

--- Quote from: Solarnewbee on December 08, 2017, 05:40:30 pm ---Hey All!

When I had the house moved I removed over 35,000 lbs of HVAC equipment brought home from system switch outs. Swore I would separate the metals after recovering refrigerant, but... refrigerant yes separation no.

--- End quote ---

Fridgy mate of mine gets loads of old AC stuff as well. Living  on acreage now he has the room to store it. When things are quiet, he puts the boys to work on stripping it all down. I got him some IBC cages to put all the different scrap in.
He had so much this year, instead of taking it to the scrapyard he had them drop off bins which he filled and they then came and collected them.
this has always been his " Christmas Bonus" as he put it but with his growing business and space to hold everything, he was telling me yesterday that this is going to be a VERY good Christmas indeed.

He said he made a fortune from the aluminium alone but what he got for the copper he thought must have been a mistake till he saw what that's worth now. The steel, well that bought the boys a cheap lunch..... for one day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version