Project Journals > Users Projects

LED ceiling light fixture

(1/1)

Rover:

How I built a 12V LED fixture for the shed.  The new shed (replacing the one Hurricane Irene crushed) needed a ceiling light. And since I like with these, and I had some around, figured I'd build  ceiling fixture that spanned two of the ceiling joists.

Stats: 2000 lumen, ~ 22W , 6 K color temp , 96 LEDs used

LEDS: SMD 5050 LED strips. These are 60 per meter, cuttable every 3

Although I had used PVC has an LED holder in the past, 96 of these were generating way too much heat. See picture below, noticed the discoloration. That idea , discarded.

Next thought process, is OK make it on aluminum, in this case .090" sheet that I had lying around. Problem, you can't just lay these strips down on aluminum. There are exposed contacts every 3 LED's, just placing it on sheet would produce quite a bit of magic smoke and sparkage when turned on. I still wanted to use the aluminum though, good heat sink. So what I did is drill holes anywhere where there would be a contact. Layed the strips down, then flipped the plate over and filled the holes with epoxy resin. See next pics

This is the backside, with the holes.

The full fixture

Backside of fixture

In the Shed

I would do this again, entire unit is a heatsink and casts a lot of light

oztules:
Good idea.
I didn't believe the heat leds put out until you bunch up a heap of then in very close proximity.... not as efficient as I first believed.

...............oztules

Rover:
Thanks Oztules,

The 5050 SMD's put out 20-22 lumens each (based on datasheet). They are a 3 chip unit (3 LED), so 96 is like 3x96 LEDs. The have a 120 degree beam angle, which is good for larger area lighting, especialy if used overhead.

Rover

WooferHound:
What voltage do you run it on ?

Rover:
Hi Woof,

These are premade, come on a roll for 12V, so basically stuck at that voltage. Each SMD has a 101 Ohm resistor with it on the strip.

Rover 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version