Project Journals > Users Projects

basicly what i been up to last few years

<< < (3/6) > >>

kurt:
just an update on the garden few photos

having an aphid issue 3 of my tomato plants ended up looking a bit rough before i figured out what was going on but i got the garden on a spray regime with a neem oil solution which is a organic certified pesticide also sprayed my apple tree i just planted it this spring so was not spraying it as it did not have fruit but i will for the rest of the year now because my 60 foot tall black walnut tree is also infested with aphids and it is way to tall for me to use a leaf spray so i have ordered a pesticide that works through the roots of the tree it will get rid of the aphids but it will take 2-3 months till then i will have to keep spraying my garden and apple tree to keep them from being reinfested.

first ripe tomato on the early girl that was unaffected by the aphids

i have a rabbit that thinks my garden is his personal lunch buffet he just keeps getting bolder and bolder as time goes on it started out with a couple bean plants then he was nibbling on the pepper plants a little well today he has eaten the leaves and the beans i was about to pick off every last one of my bean plants the little varmint

oztules:
Wonder if that means wascally wabbit stew without beans.....

................oztules

kurt:
naw killing a rabbit out of season and within city limits will get you a visit from Wally from DNR and he won't be happy this fall after i expand the garden to the size it is going to be i am going to have to fence it. i was not really expecting to get much out of this little 9x9 square out in the open with no protection its a test of this gardening system and this particular ecosystem here in this neighborhood to see what challenges i face here and if gardening in this area is practical.

there are some areas here were local condition make gardening not very practical  between the birds the squirrels and the rabbits and chipmunks and every other creature on earth you get nothing no matter how much fencing and netting you use.

so if all i have to deal with is one hungry rabbit i am fine with that.

bj:
That is a fine looking early girl Kurt.  Shame about the beans.
Not sure about your area, but here we can buy lady bugs for release.  Their prime food is
aphids, and are natural to the area.  A friend in the city had problems similar to yours,
he tried them, and worked well for about three years.  Can't remember the price though.
Our garden is Ok, but still struggling due to lack of water.  I have hauled water for it
a couple of times, but not the same as rain it seems.

Norm:

--- Quote from: bj on July 13, 2015, 07:08:35 am ---That is a fine looking early girl Kurt.  Shame about the beans.
Not sure about your area, but here we can buy lady bugs for release.  Their prime food is
aphids, and are natural to the area.  A friend in the city had problems similar to yours,
he tried them, and worked well for about three years.  Can't remember the price though.
Our garden is Ok, but still struggling due to lack of water.  I have hauled water for it
a couple of times, but not the same as rain it seems.

--- End quote ---
well anyway have you ever tried crushed egg shells for tomato plants .....I've heard they are very beneficial .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version