Transportation > Electric Vehicles

Hybrids are not what they claim

<< < (2/3) > >>

bj:
   Only Hybrid experience I have was a rental.  Flew into Victoria, (Vancouver Island) and just needed a
car, any car to get me to a ferry terminal. (going to another island)  So it was going to sit for a week.
   As things turn out, had to come back, and pick up a load of stuff for repairs, so it got a lot more
use than intended.
   Just to see, I was driving, well, not my usual self.
   Anyway, three days use, when I filled it to return it, $28.  And gas on the Island isn't cheap.  I thought
it was pretty good.
   Almost forgot, Toyota Camry Hybrid, about 120Kms. on the clock, so not old, but a rental.

MadScientist267:
Same here, but not with a Honda. Was a Prius.

Peppy little booger, and "lead foot factor" didn't seem to matter to it nearly as much as in the standard ICE cars.

I drove it personally for about 150 miles or so, wife did much more than that, and even though I wasn't there to witness the refill, I heard it was relatively cheap for the distance driven. The MPG counter in the car was bouncing between 25 and 50 MPG rolling around the city, and tended to hover in the 40 range on the highway.

No idea what was on the clock... didn't pay that close attention. Probably less than 50k tho.

Maybe it's just been a flaw in Honda's design somewhere? I haven't heard too many people complain about the Prius, but then again, I don't personally know all that many that actually own one either, so....

Steve

ChrisOlson:
Not electric.  No battery pack.  Not a hybrid.  In fact, not even advanced technology.  $999 apiece brand new.  Made in China.  You can carry two full bags of groceries in one in the under-seat storage compartment.  If the tank is bone empty you can get .92 gallons of gas in one.

My wife and I bought these things a couple years back.  4,500 miles on mine.  My wife has 3,200 miles on hers.  Never had a single problem with them yet.  113 mpg running wide freaking open.  They go 40 mph.  We ride 'em all over the place in spring, summer and fall.  Even when it's raining.

--
Chris

MadScientist267:
Had something similar - 50cc, 27MPH (unless going downhill, then maybe 30), a little smaller overall from what I can tell, and about 90MPG. Loved it...

... till I wrecked it...  :'(

Fun while it lasted though :D

Steve

ChrisOlson:
These are Roketa's.  49cc and they got pretty good power.  They turn 8 Grand at redline.  My wife can take me on a long flat stretch on a country road because she's 60 lbs lighter than I am.  I've tried premium gas, put heavier rollers in the clutch to try to get it engage harder and get a higher gear ratio, and even tried putting more air in the tires for less rolling resistance.  She still beats me into town every time.

They got a 70cc Big Bore kit that include the cylinder, bigger piston and rings, wrist pin, a carb with a 2 mm bigger bore, and all the gaskets for $199.  I been thinking about getting that Big Bore kit so I can show her who's boss.

They're about as much fun as you can have, legally    8)
--
Chris

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version