Author Topic: Mini Dual Axial Project  (Read 18920 times)

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
Re: Mini Dual Axial Project
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 08:38:43 pm »
I was worried mine would do that, so placed a garbage bag in the mold.... so I knew it would come out. (mine was chipboard)
It works but gives a textured look to the stator... makes no difference, just looks poor.... but at least it won't stick.

The odd occasion I've had the same concerns, I've used kitchen cling-wrap. It isn't perfect, but you can smooth it down real well before you start and don't get so many horrible plastic folds cutting into the epoxy.

Offline Bryan1

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 09:06:37 pm »
G'day Oz,
                I'll going with 4 off M16 grade 8 all thread for my stator mounts and I painted the stator with that varnish this morning so it is all sealed now. Once I drill the mounting holes I'll put a top coat of 2 part epoxy paint on to fully seal it. Anyway the stator is 14mm thick so I'll be going for a 16mm(5/8") airgap. Tomorrow I'll drill out some spacers and machine up a boss plate for the blade hub so everything can sit square then it will be ready for the lathe test. I am hoping my big lathe in back gear will have enough grunt to give this a real good testing as I really can't wait to see what this baby will put out.

I am tempted now to pull down my 2hp motor conversion so I can use the lattice tower with both sections for this mini mill as the 3 metre blades are showing some damage from a few years running and I do want to give that 2hp motor a rewind with thicker wire so I can turn it from a baby into a real grunter of a mill.

The missus is already saying if this new genny is closer than the shed how am I going to sleep at night and I said just listen to the batteries charging as it will be quieter than running the genset. She has said my 2hp does make a bit of noise and I replied yea only in a gale when it's doing over 600 rpm and the 20 amp gauge is topped out. 

More to come tomorrow....

Cheers Bryan.

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 05:48:26 am »
I have used freezer paper before. I know that there is question about if the wax will weaken things but I haven't had anything significantly weakened to the point I could determine it.
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline Bryan1

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 12:03:03 am »
G'day Guy's,
                  Well back to the drawing board with the stator, did a lathe test today and at 600 rpm got a pultry 2 amps out of it. Anyway it would make for a good 12 volt stator as @ 240 rpm open circuit volts are about 15 volts. O'well the learning curve continues and this time i'll make the new mold out of marine ply and paint it with epoxy paint.

Cheers Bryan

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 04:11:56 am »
Thats sad news, i would have expected about 10A into a 26v bank with your 1.1R stator

Into a 30v bank, it would be back to 6Amps (@600 rpm).... cant work out how you only got 2A.....

.............baffled

.....oztules
Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline Bryan1

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2012, 07:28:54 pm »
G'day Guy's,
                   Well had another go today and I used the fluke DMM on 10 amp range. I also setup the VFD to show amps out. I found open circuit voltage for 25 volts is just over 400 rpm.

Anyway I set the jog hertz and used the jog rather than run and had it top out @ 500 rpm and saw 4.6 amps out of the fluke. Now the vfd was pulling at first around 3.3 amps then as soon as it cutin it jumped to 8.9 amps, the current was slowly rising next thing the VFD went in error mode for over amps. In order to check RPM I made a bung to got in the back of the lathe spindle and used my old Smiths RPM gauge.

So it does look like my old 2hp lathe didn't have enough guts to give this a real test so I might go ahead and give it a go. I got 3 off planks of nice straight grain well seasoned pine on friday so I'll make a set of 2 metre blades and see how many amps I can get out of this stator in real world conditions. If it aint enough then I'll make a new stator for it.

Cheers Bryan

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2012, 08:24:23 pm »
2m blades and a boost converter or Gordons Cap doubler may be the ticket for that stator. Cut in will be a little late for normal sites, (no worries here), hence the doubler circuit. (tsr7 or more)

How many cans per blade do you reckon.... :D

................oztules
Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline Bryan1

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2012, 08:32:36 pm »
2m blades and a boost converter or Gordons Cap doubler may be the ticket for that stator. Cut in will be a little late for normal sites, (no worries here), hence the doubler circuit. (tsr7 or more)

How many cans per blade do you reckon.... :D

................oztules

G'day Oz,
              Yea I was looking last night about the cap doubler and might have to knock one up but as far as cans per blade I am tempted to do the chainsaw method so it will be dry day until there finished so I'd say NO pale ales while cutting then a slab afterwards  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers Bryan

Offline jlt

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2012, 09:52:36 pm »
 I have used pressed wood before and mine came out okay.

I used candle wax on mine and burned it into the wood with a propane torch.
Then smoothed the wax with a hot iron.

It didn't stick at  all. Fell out when I turned the mold over.

Offline RichHagen

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2012, 03:44:35 am »
I have used a thick coating of axle grease, but I would not do that if you add a lot of catalyst or cast it where it when it is very hot out.  Only stuck a couple of minor places.  I also used some wax, actually from an old plumbing sealing ring, and that worked pretty well also.  I put it on so thick, and did not smooth it out too well, so it did leave a bit of texture, but otherwise it was functional.  Just some ideas.  Rich
A Joule saved is a Joule made

Offline Bryan1

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2012, 10:11:22 pm »
G'day Guy's,
                  Well spent a bit of time making up the voltage doubler and did the test with it. Open circuit the doubler soon got to 36 volts @ 300 rpm but connected no current at all @300rpm. Tried again at 350 rpm and got a pultry 0.6 amps so upped the speed to 440 rpm and was seeing 1.2 amps on the fluke and 0.58 amps on the doubler. Anyway look like this stator will be a beer coaster and time to start winding another test coil. This time I'll try 70 turns and use the wire I got out of a seeley motor. With a bit of luck I'll be able to get 2 in hand too.

Cheers Bryan ( downing the sorrows into a doz or so Boags premuim ales)